What would you do?

Caliber aside, you want to be able to shoot at least a 180 grain bullet to have enough energy out past 600-700 yards so that limits your choices.
Start at 7PRC and go up.
The 300 WIN MAG is probably the best overall choice for ample assortment of factory rounds and the ability to hand load to sub 1/2 MOA on custom rigs.

I'm looking into my first magnum rifle. I'm needing a rifle at least 7mm in caliber, just in case I draw an Oklahoma Elk tag, the require at least .277 diameter to hunt elk. I'm wanting a rifle I can shoot bout to 1000 yards on game effectively. I'm planning to hand load, but would like factory ammo available as an option. This will be mainly a sit and shoot rifle so weight is not an issue. I currently carry a 13lb 6.5 all the time. What chambering would you guys recommend? If you have a rifle recommendation post that as well.
Thanks ahead of time.
.300 wm components and loads are proven and predictable. Hand loading using fire formed brass any rifle is bound to shoot a certain combo excellent. Other top contenders obviously .300 wsm .300 prc
.300 Norma if your cool. I am into Fierce but it's going to recoil terrible. I like the steel barreled seekins hit if you want heavy.

Sadly to say the best groups I get is out of a cheap savage go wild I never meant to keep it but it shoots dimes.

.208 hornady hpbt seated to mag length with H4350 and CCI LRP not magnum primers cause unobtainable.

Out of necessity I worked up loads using regular LRP for a few different rifles in different chamberings they all liked the LRP better. I would definitely feel confident in any of those three cartridges they work and have for years. Mix that with todays barrels and actions and it's easy

Caliber aside, you want to be able to shoot at least a 180 grain bullet to have enough energy out past 600-700 yards so that limits your choices.
Start at 7PRC and go up.
The 300 WIN MAG is probably the best overall choice for ample assortment of factory rounds and the ability to hand load to sub 1/2 MOA on custom rigs.
This is way better than what I was trying to say. Haha this is the way good ole .300 mag baby

My picks are 270WSM, 300WSM, 7 RM, 300WM, and 300RUM But there are lots of others that can do the job if you can. The longest-range shot I ever did was 644 yards. I live in Idaho, my Elk I took last year was with my 7mm-08. Practice a lot with whatever you decide on. Put very good glass on it and practice some more. Good luck with your draw and your hunt!

Hmmm…in 40+ years of elk hunting in Colorado, I've taken 17. As I recall the longest shot was maybe 225 yards. All taken with 30-06 or 300 WM. Bullets were 165-200 grain. I mostly hunt the dark timber of north slopes, so shots are never long.
Best of luck in your decision and drawing an OK elk tag!

Depends on your goals for the rifle beyond an elk tag IMO. Personally being a fan of cool collector models.

I'm thinking 270 wby (maybe one of the most diverse calibers around with it's power and 110-160 grain bullet selection)
7mm wby - (or 7mm stw)
300 wby is another great all around caliber wide range of bullet/ammo selection

A weatherby in a sexy wood stock would make a great heirloom and post hunt picture moment. But that's me - if you desire modern rifle get a PRC like everyone else.

All will do the job - just depends on what you wish to do with the gun IMO. I'm kind of a collector of cool, fiberglass and make in the last 5 years isn't collection material IMO. Still good stuff, whatever value you put in a rifle like that your most likely never going to get out of it, so if you fall in and outa love with rifles and don't enjoy tossing your money, buy something that will hold it's value or appreciate. If none of that matters - ignor that and get whatever blows your skirt up. I try and make a buck if i sell a rifle - just food for thought.

But the list of what will kill an elk is VERY long, congrats on the tag draw!

I'm looking into my first magnum rifle. I'm needing a rifle at least 7mm in caliber, just in case I draw an Oklahoma Elk tag, the require at least .277 diameter to hunt elk. I'm wanting a rifle I can shoot bout to 1000 yards on game effectively. I'm planning to hand load, but would like factory ammo available as an option. This will be mainly a sit and shoot rifle so weight is not an issue. I currently carry a 13lb 6.5 all the time. What chambering would you guys recommend? If you have a rifle recommendation post that as well.
Thanks ahead of time.
300 Winchester Magnum. Get a Tikka T3X Super Varmint and a muzzle brake for their factory-threaded muzzle.

Start at 7PRC and go up.
I would go with the 30 or 28 nosler they will kill anything on this planet loaded with 205 Berger or factory Nosler ammo

Back in 1979 my first brand new rifle was a Weatherby Mark V Deluxe, chambered in 270 Weatherby mag. 26 Inch barrel and new 3.5 to 10 Leupold. Pretty cool for the times, when 500 yards was LONG range!!!! I killed two mule deer and one antelope one year, and a small elk two years later with that rifle. With my handloads, I thought the rifle was magic!!! I still love it!! I think if I were just staring out today, ONE of the Rifle /Caliber/ Scope combo's I would consider would be a Weatherby Back Country Titanium, 26 inch barrel, with a Muzzle break , chambered in 7mm PRC, topped with a VX 5 8.5X to 25 X on a 30mm main Tube. I think the170 , 180 and 190 Grn bullets could be very effective at ranges out to 800 yards on Mule deer and antelope, and to about 700 yards on Elk. I would be really happy to own a set up like that!!!