Scope recommendations for Prairie Dogs

I built 3 AR15's (all .223 caliber) each with a NF 3.5-15x56 NXS scopes installed. I also built a 4th AR15 in .204 Ruger. I have a 5.5-25x56 ATACR installed on that build. Personally, I believe 15 power is about the max on a .223.

I should have given a budget when I first posted. I'm retired and on a fixed income. I would like to keep the scope cost below $350 since I only paid $480 for the rifle. I chose the .223 as I already had the loading dies and an unlimited supply of once fired brass. The rifle came in today. The Weaver scope that came on it is I'm guessing a $75 scope, 3-9 x40, and simple cross hairs only. This is why I'm looking for something a little better.

Here's another good choice in your price range. I have one on my 223 and shoot ground squirrels out to 350 easily with it. The reticle is MRAD and you can easily use holdoffs instead of having to dial every shot. Has an illuminated reticle and a very fine crosshair for small targets. These are a Eurooptic exclusive. They used to have them in MOA but appears they no longer do as they are closeouts . The glass is pretty good. It's the same glass used on the more expensive Strike Eagles. A lot of scope for the money.

https://www.eurooptic.com/Vortex-Strike-Eagle-4-24x50-with-EBR-4-MRAD-Riflescope-SE-1628-Kit.aspx

I should have given a budget when I first posted. I'm retired and on a fixed income. I would like to keep the scope cost below $350 since I only paid $480 for the rifle. I chose the .223 as I already had the loading dies and an unlimited supply of once fired brass. The rifle came in today. The Weaver scope that came on it is I'm guessing a $75 scope, 3-9 x40, and simple cross hairs only. This is why I'm looking for something a little better.
What brands are you partial too?
Do you prefer moa or mil?

What brands are you partial too?
Do you prefer moa or mil?
Brands: Vortex, Leupold, Bushnell, etc. If price was not a problem, then Swarovski. Don't have a preference of moa or Mil. Would like to have markings on the reticle (BDC) that would allow me to range the PD and then know which marking to use for that range. I'd rather not have to constantly adjust the turrets for range.

Arken LH4 are 25% off right now on their site. An FFP scope would be preferable if you want to hold over more than dial and there are high mag ranges plus two pretty good reticle options depending on your preference. I don't have one so take it as just a recommendation but for your price target it seems like a worthy candidate.

on my 223's Tikka SV & Built BB AR15
I use Bushnell XRS Gen 1# 4.5X30
for the money Great Glass

DSC06440.JPG

Brands: Vortex, Leupold, Bushnell, etc. If price was not a problem, then Swarovski. Don't have a preference of moa or Mil. Would like to have markings on the reticle (BDC) that would allow me to range the PD and then know which marking to use for that range. I'd rather not have to constantly adjust the turrets for range.
I have a arken elp4 I'll make you a deal on if you want. Send me a pm if you're interested.

That's going to be tuff to get a scope that is half *** for the money, it seems everything to day
even used it's a lot higher than it used to be . Here is a link where i bought 2 of these scopes
now they are cheap but i put one on a 16 AR and the other on a 1022 Ruger for me they will
fit the needs on both guns, your other option is like you mentioned on Ebay you can pick up
a first gen Vortex PST 6X24X50 that will come with a lifetime warranty for the owner . I hope you
can find something that you will be happy with and work for you .

TRUGLO Tx6 Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 3-18x 50mm
1/10 Mil Adjustments First Focal lluminated A.P.T.R Reticle Matte $199.99

the other scope is a used Vortex PST for buy it now for $360.00

the Truglo Link :

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1023458081?pid=209182

Ebay link :
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=vortex+pst+6-24&_svsrch=1&_trksid=p4432023.m570.l10046

I have an old Nikon in perfect shape 4-12x40 that we had on a Model 70 .223. 1" tube. Rebuilt it to .223 Wylde Brux 1/8 with a Tract FFP scope. Shot hundreds of PDs with this scope, up to 450 yards. Simple duplex, no dialing, but the price is right. If you have friends in the crab biz, couple bushels shipped to Montana. Or, if you have a nice bear hide. Or something else to trade. Don't need money.

Nikon Scope.jpg

Just listed on this forum, get it quick. No affiliation.

Last edited: