Ruger Predator

ojr

Hello,
Has anyone bought , shot or just had a very good look at the new Ruger Predator rifle, I'm just looking for an overview and/or opinions on it , including the trigger type that it comes with, [ I know it comes with their target trigger] esp how far/easily it can be adjusted.
I'm considering one in 22-250 but, if anyone has experience with the rifle itself regardless of caliber, I'd appreciate the feedback.
Thanks,

My best friend and hunting partner bought one in may in 22-250. All I can say is the worst shooting ruger i have ever had or seen. After hours and hour of load development and glass bedding the stock nothing less than inch and half. I would have to pass on the rifle.

Thanks John

Hi ogallala
Thanks for that, exactly the type of information I was looking for, good, bad, it all helps.
Cheers.

I have a buddy that just purchased one just two weeks ago in .204 Ruger. We took it out and sighted it in. The rifle shoots really good with factory Hornady Amo with 40 grain V-Max's (he is not an avid shooter or reloader). My thoughts on it was that it is a great looking rifle that shoots every bit as good as any of my .204's, which includes a Savage Predator and a Cooper Phoenix.

The one thing that totally impressed me that my buddy couldn't appreciate is how easiy and quickly the barrel cleaned up. I don't know if it was luck or a new ruger thing, but that barrel cleans as well as my Lilja barreled .20BR.

Anyway, my opinion is that if you like the look and feel of the Ruger Predator, go for it, as I doubt you will be disapointed. Also the trigger was pretty darn good, but I've shot ruger target triggers before and really don't mind them.

Thanks topwater
sorry didn't acknowledge sooner computer went bung.
Makes it hard now though, like the look of them.
cheers.

If you found one and handled it and like it....I would buy it. My buddy bought his (ordered his) sight unseen as they are very hard to find sitting on a shelf.

Nothing wrong with that rifle at all......He researched it out before he ordered and the few reviews that he found were very positive.

I didn't check to see how well the barrel was floating in that stock as it seemed to be pretty tight in the stock channel, but hey it shot really good so I guess that's a moot point.

Thats the trouble, it's an order item way over here in New Zealand so at the moment so I'm trying to gather all info I can from you guys
The Savage equiv is here but... I do like the look of the Ruger
Cheers

Good Luck. Let me know if I can answer any more questions for ya.

For what it's worth, I owned a Savage Predator .204, and a Cooper Phoenix .204.......if I was to get a new factory .204 the Ruger Hawkeye Predator would be at the top of the list. It's a great looking rifle (and at least my buddy's shot really well) and a very good weight for calling critters.

If it was me, I would pass on the Ruger. It limits you in aftermarket parts - especially scope rings. If you've got Savages in your neighborhood, that would be a better option.

I have one that I bought a few months ago. I put a Leupold Vari-x3 on it in 4.5-14x50LR. I did not get to shoot it for a month or so because I needed the larger 30mm scope rings and Ruger was out of stock. They will give them to you for free if the rifle is new and you need them. I have been shooting factory Hornady v-max in 50gr. I am not a bench rest shooter. I actually need a lot of practice still. For me the rifle shoots really well. I can keep it within 1.5inches at 200yrds. I love the trigger on it. I want one for my M77 7MMRem. I have not done anything to it. I am going to start to reload for it later this week.

I bought a ruger predator in 204 several months ago. I did not shoot it until recently when I mounted at nikon 4.5 x14.5 on it. I have taken it to the range serveral times now, and really like it. It does have a heavier contour barrel, but not a full blown heavy target barrel. The target trigger is nice right out of the box. It has a little bit of take up and then it breaks real nice. I see no need to adjust mine as it has a lighter trigger pull than most of my rifles which I usually have at around 3 lbs. As for accuracy, all I have shot is 32 gr. hornady v-max factory ammo and if I do my part, I can get half inch groups easily. I would recommend this rifle to anyone. The best part is that rugers are still more reasonably priced than alot of other rifles. I am a big time remington man, but my safe still has quite a few rugers. Hope this helps!

which ruger predator, the hawkeye (rhp) or american (rap)?

if the rap, i don't where it's in the stores yet and ruger is saying june.

but, aside from the very slightly heavier barrel with threaded end for a suppressor or brake, and the green synth stock, rap just an ras (ruger american standard). not that either are "bad" rifles ... a guy had an rar at the range this past weekend in .243win and with a cheap scope was doing near 1" three round groups at 100yds with run-of-the-mill federal rounds. i was impressed. yeah, maybe he got a fluke, but dang, i ordered one out this past monday in .243win. ymmv.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.