Note keeping Tips?

I am also making an effort to better organize my record keeping. I don't reload for too many rifles so my transition isn't overly complex. I am converting everything written to the A5 Planner (prox 8.5"x5.5") format and divided into sections: Sessions, DOPE, Reloading (subdivided by cartridge), and barrel life logs. I have spreadsheet templates (some still in the works) that I print on A5 paper so field entry is really easy. Pretty simple to add the field notes to the spreadsheets and save them to the file when I am in front of my laptop after getting back home from a shooting session. If my field notes are too sloppy I can print out a copy of the digital entries and replace the handwritten page in the planner. I take a pic of my targets then process and save them in Hornady Group Analysis.

Now everything is in basically in one field notebook that fits in my range bag and zips closed to keep some of the dust out of it, one firearms folder on my computer, and target records on my iPhone. Only option for the notebook case on Amazon was camo...ha! Matches everything!

Attachments

• tempImageW29S4w.png
    tempImageW29S4w.png
    1 MB · Views: 20
  • tempImage7VQhm4.png
    tempImage7VQhm4.png
    892.6 KB · Views: 19
I use note cards for each load, and keep them organized in a note card holder on bench. Old or changed loads are noted, but best load is marked on the card, and then load data is also put inside plastic shell box with loaded rounds.

As for brass, I keep two plastic boxes for brass and note in the top of the box with tape how many times each is fired. Brass is held in these until I have enough reload (normally 50). I then clean, trim, anneal and prep then load and change the tape to another X so fired brass has a home.

I use note cards for each load, and keep them organized in a note card holder on bench. Old or changed loads are noted, but best load is marked on the card, and then load data is also put inside plastic shell box with loaded rounds.

As for brass, I keep two plastic boxes for brass and note in the top of the box with tape how many times each is fired. Brass is held in these until I have enough reload (normally 50). I then clean, trim, anneal and prep then load and change the tape to another X so fired brass has a home.
I do this as well with brass. Always write on tape or flash cards the status of the brass. The next step in my OCD is trusting my notes hahah. I'll spend a day fully prepping boxes of brass so they are ready to load. But when a grab a box off the shelf to load i still have to check all the lengths after reading the notes. All while fighting the urge to believe I did all the steps I wrote down. Does anyone else do this?

Here's what my spreadsheet template looks like. Print this out for each group of rounds I load and keep it in the box for those rounds. I regroup the columns and rows for whatever I need for that set of rounds. Even keep track of runout, seating depth, etc.

1716221835962.png

Here's what my spreadsheet template looks like. Print this out for each group of rounds I load and keep it in the box for those rounds. I regroup the columns and rows for whatever I need for that set of rounds. Even keep track of runout, seating depth, etc.

View attachment 573167
I like this ⬆️ Might print some out and try it. Lots of great info in this thread. Thanks for all the advice.

Small pocket-size spiral notebook.

I keep all rifle data, brass data, bullet data, testing data for charge weight and seating depth tests, final load data, and round count by date in the back.
This is a good idea. I keep a file folder with reloading data and stuff at home, and I keep a small Rite in the Rain notebook for each rifle (fits in the stock pack) as a "Dope book", round count, cleaning/ maintenance, etc. Could probably combine the two and keep all the data in one notebook.

I have started using Reloader's Workshop program on the PC at home, it is free and really useful to track/ inventory firearms, ammo, reloading supplies, reloading data, etc. It is actually a very powerful and detailed program.

I use a 9.7" iPad Pro with OneNote, it is water Proof, and shock resistant. I use it for reloading, sighting and ballistics, and keeping track of any weapons work needed or done and the next rifle I want to build.

My question to all the computer guys is how do you get all the info from the field, or the reloading bench to your computer? You must take notes then transfer them? Computers are great backup for sure but most days i feel like using computers as targets!! Hahaha
I take notes at the bench or range and transfer them to the computer. My wife knows not to mess with anything on my reloading bench but if I leave anything elsewhere, she feels that it needs to move elsewhere.

I reload at the range, and I use a three ring binder for each caliber, sub section for different barrels. Notes on the Forward page of each barrel, dimensions of each chamber and reamer print#, Bore dimensions to the .0001, basic brass sizes prior to and after firing, sized dimension for each die, and any useful notes on Full Length, web sizers, small base sizing to be used, or that barrels particular characteristics shooting or cleaning, and run out in the throat prior to be removed from the lathe

Over the years, couple of things I have changed on daily notes:
Bushing size & make, dies used, annealing notes if any that shot the groups that day.
I draw a small picture of the wind conditions for that day with notes of mirage, pick ups and switches
If the groups are not terrible, I keep a cut out section of the group, glued on a page and much is learned from saving group targets over the years.
*Summary notes on the days testing, and suggestions on what to try on the next outing is critical

Last edited: