My 7 PRC vs. 280 Ackley problem

I would rebarrel the AI and probably got for a 1:8 or 1:8.5 twist barrel for it, if that's me. I have tried the 7mm PRC, and I was not impressed. With the ammo we shot from it, the velocities were 150-200 fps slower than what Hornady said. Some of that I chalk up to the 22" barrel on the PRC. Why Savage chose that length is beyond me. I do think with a 24" barrel and the correct powders, the PRac comes out on top. There's just something about the .280 AI though I like. Maybe it's what my .280 Rem really wishes it was.

Well you have the rifle so a new tube is the easy button. I would certainly put a new barrel on it and consider another 280AI or even consider a 6.5-280AI as you could use the brass you already have. Now would be the time to consider any changes to the rifle as well, stocks and trigger groups are much improved from 20 years ago. Good luck with your decision and happy shooting! Jason

Rebuild and Rock both. There is no such thing as to many guns.
Your not married are you?????

Or you have a wayyyyyyyyyy more accepting wife then I have. Mind you... when we met she asked me oh... how many guns are on your list to finish off your collection? I said 3. I think that was roughly 35-40 rifles ago.

Although I found that if I ask her if I can buy a gun half way through a foot massage... I get told that I can buy whatever I want!!!!

I recently bought brass and dies in 7 SAUM. I have 280AI and recently sold my 7RM. I just sold the brass and dies at a loss. I understand comments and desires to have multiple rifles with similar ballistics, but I just couldn't justify why I was going this route after giving it more thought. I've decided to keep on rocking the 280AI, and go with a 28 Nosler if I add to the 7mm inventory. We often learn valuable lessons after using a rifle for a while. Be it twist, throat, weight, etc. Take what you have learned and apply it.

I know there is currently a lot of hype with the 7PRC as the marketing and ballistics are impressive. That being said, both of my .280AI's have a permanent residence in my home. Accurate, efficient, low recoil, and it lacks very little to the 7PRC and 7mag with noticeably less powder and recoil, unless you want to shoot way down range.

..for all intents and purposes there not a beans worth of difference worth talking about....just pick another cartridge that you know casings will be around for all your years. .NO FLY BY NIGHTS !

Little Crow Gunworks just posted a you tube video with the OPs cartridges. It has interesting info/insight that leans in favor of the inherent benefits that come with the 7 prc. It is a small sample but where there is smoke there is fire. Not trying to challenge anyones favorite cartridge.

Little Crow Gunworks just posted a you tube video with the OPs cartridges. It has interesting info/insight that leans in favor of the inherent benefits that come with the 7 prc. It is a small sample but where there is smoke there is fire. Not trying to challenge anyones favorite cartridge.
I've been following the series. I think it's very good and a lot of range time. He gives his pros and cons of each cartridge. Definitely states 7mag has more fps out of the muzzle but difference is heavier bullets due to twist will pick farther down range. I've been watching from beginning. Worth the watch

What are you wanting to do with the other rifle? I'd personally see little advantage of having both the 280 and 7prc. But then again I have three 7mags so what do I know. If you like something you like it. You also have everything you need to stick with the 280...if that motivates you.