My 7 PRC vs. 280 Ackley problem

Definitely rebarrel the Ackley! Sweetest absolute butt kicker of a cartridge. Easy to load for, efficient and incredibly accurate. It's a ONE rifle cartridge a guy could hunt with his entire life and not want anything more.
Where was this great advice 40 years ago and after tens of thousands of dollars, and wives ago🙃

I second, third, fourth...for rebarreling your 280AI. A cartridge you are very familiar with, you have everything you need for it, same bullet options as the PRC and I never go on a hunt without a backup rifle. One would be the perfect backup for the other, maybe configure it for a lighter or heavier rifle depending on you PRC configuration. I personally would keep it 7mm.

Who would I have re-barrel that knows how to add freebore and can throat for a specific bullet? Gordy Gritters is no longer taking any work. To be honest I probably won't re-build on the Remington 700 action but do a whole new build. Here is what I'm thinking:

Defiance Anti
Proof 1-8 Sendero Light at 22"
Either an AG Privateer or an Alamo Precision proprietary AG stock
Trigger tech special
Wyatt's box

Who would I have re-barrel that knows how to add freebore and can throat for a specific bullet? Gordy Gritters is no longer taking any work. To be honest I probably won't re-build on the Remington 700 action but do a whole new build. Here is what I'm thinking:

Defiance Anti
Proof 1-8 Sendero Light at 22"
Either an AG Privateer or an Alamo Precision proprietary AG stock
Trigger tech special
Wyatt's box
Alex Wheeler.

Alex Wheeler was one I had in mind. The others are Mike Bryant, Bob Green or Alamo Precision.

I have hunted from Arizona to Africa with the 280AI since the early 90's, and it has never let me down. Low recoil, accurate and easy to load for, flat trajectory and no animal fairly hit has ever gotten away. I'd re-barrel that 280 AI without a second thought.

My 7RM is my open country longer range rig that I have a 180 Berger load and a lighter mono for.
My 280AI is my lighter and tighter country gun shooting a light fast mono or a 168 gr bullet.
Each is a backup for the other, as the 280AI had a scope failure getting elevation data just before heading out for a hunt. It happens.

I have both and give my vote for the 280 AI. Less powder, less recoil and all you need is a barrel. 280 AI and 6.8 Western are my 2 favorites. 7 PRC is a good round but I'm just not sold on it, I've loaded some great loads for it but it just sits in the safe now.

4 or 5 more grians of powder capacity and the 7 prc would be as advertised for velocity. It is still a great cartridge, but the over sell and under deliver has brought ill will from some.

Recent Posts