Miroku mfg Win M1885

Recently acquired from a member a Miroku Win M1885.
Seems to be a lot of effort and discussion about mounting optics "out there".
The mount provided is mfg by Talley. Dimensionally to the screw holes etc is all good.
However it does not fit the taper properly. Apparently there are many calibers, tapers configurations..not feasible to mfg precision fit for all such rifles. Solutions are very few...
Talley implies " tighten it on down". The daylight under the front mount tapered about 0.070 to 0.020 when attached to the receiver.
I simply bedded the front mount to the barrel. No sense adding all that stress to the system and risking ring misalignment...

Recently acquired from a member a Miroku Win M1885.
Seems to be a lot of effort and discussion about mounting optics "out there".
The mount provided is mfg by Talley. Dimensionally to the screw holes etc is all good.
However it does not fit the taper properly. Apparently there are many calibers, tapers configurations..not feasible to mfg precision fit for all such rifles. Solutions are very few...
Talley implies " tighten it on down". The daylight under the front mount tapered about 0.070 to 0.020 when attached to the receiver.
I simply bedded the front mount to the barrel. No sense adding all that stress to the system and risking ring misalignment...
Did you call Talley and they said to just "tighten it on down"?

What cartridge? Not that it matters, but I just bought a new Miroku1885 low wall 22LR on gunbroker and had the same issue with the base. I took the mount to the belt sander to even it out. I think when I originally mounted it, and shot it, the front hole stripped out some because not enough of the screw was in it.
I swore I'd never own a set of talley rings and here I am, but they seem to be the only brand to fit that goofy base.