Mauser build 338-06 or 338 Win mag

I had a 338-06 AI built several years ago on a 98 Mauser action very accurate with both my fire forming load (56 gr. IMR 4350 behind a 200 gr. Speer SP) and my standard hunting load (53 gr of IMR 4320 behind a 225 gr. Hornady SP) I have killed animals with both. 58 gr of IMR 4350 behind the 225 Hornady SP is also very accurate in my gun with a medium weight 22 inch XX Douglas Supreme barrel.

I have had no problems with loading the 338-06 AI with Redding dies, they have the 338-06 AI dies with both 25 degree and 40 degree shoulders or at least they did when I had mine built, my rifle is chambered for the 40 degree shoulder. The gunsmith that built mine as well as others have reamers for both.

One of my all time favourite rifles was an Austrian Mauser in 338-06. I also had a 338 Mag and there wasn't much more than 100 fps between them. I have owned 7-06AI, 8-06AI, and 30-06AI, and will never own another one. The extra fps is hardly worth the effort and smooth feeding and extraction is a priority for me. With the 338-06 the 210 Nosler was good for larger animals and the 180 Accubond was flat shooting enough for longer range deer or sheep. My favourite powder was BL-C2. I lost the rifle in a fire and am still looking for a similar action begin building another one. My preferred rifle for grizzly hunting is the .375 H&H but if the 338-06 was all I had in my hands if one showed up I wouldn't feel timid about using it.

Of your choices, I would go 338-06AI.

I do have to say it, after building a few Mausers of my own: I would highly recommend just starting with a 700 action instead. I get it, that this is for you. I think of it like someone restoring a 4 door car or a Rambler.

Of your choices, I would go 338-06AI.

I do have to say it, after building a few Mausers of my own: I would highly recommend just starting with a 700 action instead. I get it, that this is for you. I think of it like someone restoring a 4 door car or a Rambler.
I prefer building on 700 actions, but I have this one sitting here and the safety is already done, already has a Timney trigger so its basically a barreling job at this point. And I really want the controlled round feed for what I want this rifle for.

My last 98 Mauser build a couple years ago was a 30 Gibbs, but only because I already have a pre 64 model 70 that has been bored to 338/06. I am loading 186 grain hammer hunters to just under 3000 fps. I have owned at least 5 different 338 win mags and have sold them all and don't fill under gunned with a 338/06.

was just kind of looking for that extra assurance that I didn't need to go up to a Win Mag.

As most will state, for most 'normal' kinds of hunting, yes, even in Alaska, the .338-06 or AI version will serve you well. Choosing the properly constructed bullets for the game being pursued and the velocity range should guide you through the process of reloading for this cartridge.

It is an intermediate power cartridge so trying to suggest that those 300 grain long range bullets are the best choice is ridiculous. The thoughts about those 225 grain Spitzer or soft points is nearly perfect. Even the 200 grain Nosler E-Tip performs well when called on for those states requiring non-lead bullets. I've found that the lighter Barnes 185 grain TTSX can be terrific when shooting deer-size game in the .338-06.

I use the Ackley version not for the increase in velocity but the additional number of powders which perform in that case design. This case will feed well from a magazine when the gunsmith actually understands cartridge feeding.

Enjoy your project!

:)

Last edited:
Slam dunk I'd go with the 338/06. I have my G33/40 chambered for that round and it's a sweet heart! Easy to make, accurate (as all 33's are) and it feeds like a charm.

Now what I wouldn't do is the 338 WSM, or the 338/06 AI or any of the bigger 33's.

Stay the course with the 338/06 and you'll be happy

I mainly use the 200 Nosler BT or the 250 Partition

I've done a few conversions to .300 Win Mag, only after careful inspection of the receiver and discussion with the customers.

What you need to be cognizant of is that lengthening the receiver cutout requires removal of the material directly behind the bottom lug abutment, weakening it.

The larger casehead of the magnum cartridges creates substantially more bolt thrust than the .473 dia casehead.

Countless big game rifles have been converted to magnums, but I'd avoid it if the smaller cartridge will suit your application.

JMO