Hog Stimulus

You fellows need a little stimulus to get you motivated to go out and shoot more hogs. So here it is. I shot these two along with 8 more out at my deer lease here in Texas. I got these two and 6 more on one stand in the morning. Here is how it went down.:

After sitting in the stand for about an hour with my thermal, one customer came in at 6:31am near my feeder to the west at about 106 yards. Because the night crew had cleaned up all of the corn and roasted soybeans during the night, the 150-pound boar was doing a "drive by". I decided it was light enough and grabbed my daytime rifle. It is a suppressed 6.5 Grendel with120 grain ELDM bullet. Shot him a little further back than I intended, probably because I didn't compensate enough for his forward movement. He ran off into the thorny brush while leaving a decent blood trail.

Thinking I likely would not see anything else; I was planning to get down as I was almost out of coffee. While I was finishing the last few swallows of coffee, at 7:03am a 100-pound boar, came in to the feeder to the north. This feeder has a fence around it, but I opened one side to let the pigs get in. As he made his way to the opening, I dropped him right in the fence opening. Same gun at 97 yards this time.

While thinking to myself that this was a successful morning, at 7:21am a 95 pound sow with four 20 pound piglets came in to the north feeder. Dropped her but she was doing the chicken and the piglets didn't know what to do. Unfortunately for them, 3 of them lined up and I shot all in one shot. The other piglet ran off but came back a couple of minutes later and I got it. No pictures of the piglet carnage as it was deemed too graphic.

No picture of the first hog since I don't like those thorns.
First feeder picture is the west feeder and second one is the north. This is what goes on when I am not there!
Yup. I lost count of how many I killed in Guadalupe County. One of my favorite spots was a protein feeder a few hundred yards from the house. I cut a little 10 yard wide shooting lane through the under brush. Park the Polaris 100 yds away up hill under a scrub oak, open the cattle gate for a clear shot, and shoot 'em under the chin at 3 fawn nozzles on one side of the feeder. 🤣👍

My lease in South Arkansas has become covered in hogs. I shot 1 about 5 years ago, and when I went Turkey hunting there this year, there were no turkeys, but hog tracks were everywhere. I guess I need to go back down there and make some of them take a dirt nap.
The wife and I bought a little 3.5 acre piece of land bordering the Ouachita NF 20 mi W of Hot Springs. Looking forward to hunting my place and the NF from the porch. Haven't seen any hog sign yet but deer and turkey are plenty and there's been a few black bear sightings from what I've heard from neighbors. Hopefully the hogs will stay away.

The wife and I bought a little 3.5 acre piece of land bordering the Ouachita NF 20 mi W of Hot Springs. Looking forward to hunting my place and the NF from the porch. Haven't seen any hog sign yet but deer and turkey are plenty and there's been a few black bear sightings from what I've heard from neighbors. Hopefully the hogs will stay away.
That is awesome! This lease is about 50 miles Southeast of HotSprings in Manning, Arkansas

My lease in South Arkansas has become covered in hogs. I shot 1 about 5 years ago, and when I went Turkey hunting there this year, there were no turkeys, but hog tracks were everywhere. I guess I need to go back down there and make some of them take a dirt nap.
Hogs eat turkey eggs!

Last edited:
I'd like to go shoot some one day. I'm just not paying an outfitter to do it lol.
If the hogs come back (we think they will only take one Pregent Sow to re-populate an area) we will invite you down. My two neighbors and I took over 300 hogs between traps and shooting 2017 to 2021. We have another property where a two-three hogs have been showing up. BUT you need to keep feeding them to bring the small to large herds. You have to be real active with feeding since we (the hogs) live in the WOODS and NO active Farmland anymore. Our HOGS are the REAL WILD Woods type and live off of Acorns, roots, bugs, anything they can get. and we have a Reservoir right next to us. My neighbor has a Pecan Orchard - those hogs will get in there and root up all the grounds trying to get Pecans buried from years past. When they come in looks like an old beat-up Harrow Disk plowed the grounds.

My mind is blown by some of yall wishing for feral hogs 🤣🤯 Become a land owner south of Oklahoma and East of New Mexico and you will never wish hogs on your worst enemy. They are so rotten that they will even live in California! They eat every ground nesting bird in my lovely state of TEXAS. They have decimated wild turkey and quail populations. They destroy crops, kill fawns ,kill calves and eat everything they can and ruin everything else.

Anyone who doesn't have feral hogs outside their backdoor........ be thankful!

Anyone who wants to shoot feral hogs you are more than welcome to book a trip with the hundreds of "outfitters" down here. Take off work on a Friday and hunt all weekend for about $300. Most of these guys are even supplying guns, ammo, thermals and an air-conditioned room.....oh yeah and no possession limits or closed season.

Yeah they make good bullet testers and the little ones eat pretty good and an adult boar is probably the smartest thing on 4 legs that you'd ever want to hunt but.....don't wish for the largest invasive biomass in the country to come knocking on your door! Once you have them they do not go away!!

My rough 27 year estimate on hogs I've killed is close to 3,000. I shot 461 in an 18mo stretch in 08-09'. Killed 47 in one day. There was a "kill em all" 24hr tournament last year and the winning team showed up from out around Abilene with a 26ft gooseneck dump trailer loaded to the top with dead hogs. The 2nd place team had a 20ft trailer full. I'm not saying this to boast I'm just trying to convey that they are a plague!

Don't wish for feral hogs!

My mind is blown by some of yall wishing for feral hogs 🤣🤯 Become a land owner south of Oklahoma and East of New Mexico and you will never wish hogs on your worst enemy. They are so rotten that they will even live in California! They eat every ground nesting bird in my lovely state of TEXAS. They have decimated wild turkey and quail populations. They destroy crops, kill fawns ,kill calves and eat everything they can and ruin everything else.

Anyone who wants to shoot feral hogs you are more than welcome to book a trip with the hundreds of "outfitters" down here. Take off work on a Friday and hunt all weekend for about $300. Most of these guys are even supplying guns, ammo, thermals and an air-conditioned room.....oh yeah and no possession limits or closed season.

Yeah they make good bullet testers and the little ones eat pretty good and an adult boar is probably the smartest thing on 4 legs that you'd ever want to hunt but.....don't wish for the largest invasive biomass in the country to come knocking on your door! Once you have them they do not go away!!

My rough 27 year estimate on hogs I've killed is close to 3,000. I shot 461 in an 18mo stretch in 08-09'. Killed 47 in one day. There was a "kill em all" 24hr tournament last year and the winning team showed up from out around Abilene with a 26ft gooseneck dump trailer loaded to the top with dead hogs. The 2nd place team had a 20ft trailer full. I'm not saying this to boast I'm just trying to convey that they are a plague!

Uhhhh, Who was wishing for them? I know it wasn't me and I don't remember anyone else say they wanted them. 🫡

Yep, closest thing to the devil the basstards are. One small group can annihilate 6-20 acres per night on my fields, makes it rough as hell to cut and bale hay. The fields I plow usually recover when we chisel them, but the ones in permanent pasture require more work and time. I still see plenty of Rattlesnakes and a few Copperheads. When it comes to hogs, shoot them all! I would like to see them eradicated.

Recent Posts