Garmin xero

Didn't LR come out with a version about the size of the Garmin? I thought they released it at shot show, maybe it hadn't been introduced to the market yet.
I heard a little something about but got my Garmin now. Now to get rid of the Magnetospeed.

I would disagree about Labradar customer service. Everytime I have called , which is way too often because I seem to always run into problems with it, they help me sort it out every time. Its just with different muzzle devices, setting it up is very intolerant. I will be getting a garmin, but the Labradar was still a huge improvement over the Caldwell.
Had a Caldwell glad I held out for the Gamin

For many years I used a Chrony and built a dope card on the info the Chrony gave me for velocity.
The Chrony LIED like a rug!I had to throw out all my previous load workup as it was inaccurate.
This year I am re-starting load work up and know the Garmin will tell me the truth.Wasted many years of load data.

Was at the range the other day and a fellow shooter saw me setting up my optical chrono and kindly offered to let me try his Garmin. He set it up for me in less than a minute and I started shooting. The Garmin worked great and never missed a shot. The optical was set up about 10 ft in front of the bench. My question is the optical was very consistently 20 fps faster than the read on the Garmin, not sure if my optical was blocking the Garmin so it was picking up the bullet farther out or if others have noticed similar reads.
Also, the Garmins avg picking up the shot further out. Like 20-40' IIRC.

This is no small comment. Can anyone actually verify this? If so - this needs some factoring for actual 'muzzle' velocity. (Or, maybe they factor this into the displayed speed?)
I read it in an article when I was researching how to set mine up for optimal performance but did not save the article.

It was a write up about how far foward, rearward and sideways the Garmin would pick up the shot, and optimal locations.

They then set the unit on a tripod down range at various distances to see if they could determine BC and discovered the projectiles where some distance down range before being picked up. I believe it was 20'-40' according to the article.

Sunday evening I went to charge my Garmin watch and got a message there was an update for my Gamin Chronograph and so I did the update.
This morning I went to the range and set up to shoot and the Garmin did NOT pick up a single shot!
I have a message going to Garmin now and will see what they say.

Last edited:
Sunday evening I went to charge my Garmin watch and got a message there was an update for my Gamin Chronograph and so I did the update.
This morning I went to the range and set up to shoot and the Garmin did NOT pick up a single shot!
I have a message going to Garmin now and will see what they say.
I assume it was working before the update.
Download was probably corrupted. I'm kind of surprised it even booted and displayed appropriate screens. But there are several moving parts to a firmware update, depending on how they implement it, so that part might not even have been touched. Did you try to run the update a 2nd time?
If you have time before they get back to you, I would try finding the previous version online and load that if possible. (not sure if it's posted) Then run the standard current update again. I don't know of any multi-button presses + holds to give it a "1st birthday" but even if you can that might not fix it.

HunterWang,
I looked at LabRadar for years, but the issues I read about kept me from buying one. I have a MagnetoSpeed but it's a little finicky getting setup. The Garmin seems to be doing really well. Do you have a website to buy from and do you offer any discounts on the Garmin? Being retired in these expensive times any discount is appreciated. Thanks for any assistance.
Your story mirrors mine. I passed on the LR for the same reason (and I thought the $), and have enjoyed the Magnetospeed but yes, must keep fiddling with it, tightening and positioning and it can affect group size and POI. Need to shoot for readings or accuracy, but can't really do both simultaneously. I tried for years. My rifles all have sporter contour barrels. Maybe it doesn't affect bull barrels as much or at all, I dunno.

Enter Garmin. Suddenly the pricetag was not an issue. I have only seen them going for MSRP. But I bought mine at Scheels; they are running a special if you buy over $100, also $70 off if you sign up for a Scheels credit card.

Last edited:
Probably because they've come out with a newer subcompact model.
If they did, then their marketing department is doing a terrible job. It is not listed on their website. They are either working hard on something new to duel with Garmin, or looking for new jobs. It's that simple.
Worked in high tech for 45 years...been through many product wars.