Favorite uncommon calibers

8x68 S fired a 200 grain bullet at over 2900fps which was extremely potent for a cartridge designed during the 1930's. To house the 8x68 S and its sibling, the M98 action had to be milled forwards (front of magazine well towards bottom recoil lug rebate) and the magazine extended accordingly.
Well I'll be dipped they had a 8 rem mag before Remington had a 8 mm rem mag.
I'm curious to discover the differences between the 8x68 I have coming this summer and the 8mm Rem mag I sold off... it is being being built on an FN Mauser action.

Yet again I never knew the 375 h&h was a rimmed cartridge. Please forgive me but I'm going to have to take the time to look at the information. Thank you though for posting I appreciate it.
There's two versions: the non-rimmed version your familiar with and the rimmed version for double rifles. My 9.3/375 rimmed is in a Winchester single shot replica.

.348 Winchester mdl. 71, with a 250 grain bullet, it's a thumper, on my shoulder, I haven't killed anything with it yetView attachment 573099
Nice rifle. Mark Novak of Anvil gunsmithing just did a restoration of this exact rifle. It's very informative on the take down and reassembly as it's a little different than the model 94. You can find it on YouTube

30 Herret and 357 Herrett for me. They aren't fast, but both have been accurate in my Contender.
I to have the 357 and the 30 harret . I've only got around to loading for the 357 . It's a great caliber for what it is and I hope to take a elk with mine some day. It is always entertaining to explain what you're shooting to someone that asks. They see the pistol and its unique to most as they haven't seen a contender. It's better when you show them the round and offer to let them try it . So far no takers! Just under 1900 fps pushing a 180 gr xtp in a 10 inch barrel. I've got some 1680 to try I hear it's a ball of fire out the front.

7mm Mashburn Super Magnum, still around if you look hard enough, in the USA, l am in the process of building a full custom one (long process due to $) , it was the precursor of the 7mm Rem Mag, and is still better (in my opinion)was used to take the big 5 in Africa back in the day.
Originally developed by Art Mashburn.

My doubles are all not mainstream, 470 Nitro, 500 Nitro 3 1/4", 577 Nitro & 600 OK. My 45-120 is also unheard of and my 416 Rigby doesn't get a lot of mentions.
I guess my 222Mag is obsolete, but I have plenty of brass. I have early 1900's levers (Winchester) in 44-40 and 30-30, almost 120 years old each of them.

Cheers.

Curiosity got me..

Is the .45-120 a 3 1/4" or 2 7/8"? What rifle platform is it in?

225 Winchester along with its big cousin the 220 swift. I know they won't do what cartridge xxxxx will do but there is something about shooting woodchucks with the classics.
Carbon, Kevlar, aluminum and stainless steel are amazing materials but good ol walnut and blued steel definitely have soul.

My wildcats .30 LARA and .338 Thor.
Fav uncommon caliber is 6.5 Rem Mag, belted short mag, many consider the precursor to current day short mags. Developed with too slow of twist and too short barrel. Still a laser with 120-130 gr pills. 22" factory barrel on a light weight carbine equals bad medicine on all NA critters.

Fav uncommon caliber is 6.5 Rem Mag, belted short mag, many consider the precursor to current day short mags. Developed with too slow of twist and too short barrel. Still a laser with 120-130 gr pills. 22" factory barrel on a light weight carbine equals bad medicine on all NA critters.
Yep, another failed opportunity by Remington to market and support effectively.

Curiosity got me..

Is the .45-120 a 3 1/4" or 2 7/8"? What rifle platform is it in?
It's 3 1/4" and mine is a custom Ruger No1. Although a black powder cartridge, I run mine with smokeless and jacketed pills. Black powder is fun, but I hate cleaning after using it, extremely tedious.
There is now a Park West falling block that will handle 50-90, am interested in that.

Cheers.

Recent Posts