Dillon 550 Question

I use my 550 for both handgun and rifle. I lube cleaned cases (mix my own, alcohol and lanolin), and use the four dies for all my rifle loads. If I am doing loads for a ladder, or accuracy loads, I run one case through the four dies to completion, with the powder die dispensing slightly under the desired charge weight. With the brass button pulled at the powder die, I pull the undercharged case and dump the powder on my scale. I then trickle to the charge weight I want and then dump back this powder into the case and back on the press to finish that round at the last two dies. I have bought the powder funnel die from Dillon but haven't used it yet (planning on it when I get a chargemaster). Two weeks ago, I loaded .308 win, with 125 g CBB mono hunting bullet and 47.5 gr of Varget. Speed was 3021fps avg, 5 rounds sd of 4.5, petersen cases (new),these were done with the standard powder measure. Love my Dillon and have for 34 years.

The load noted above is a lightly compressed load, but my caution is when any loads are close to full with powder, when advancing a case to the next position using the finger bar, keep your finger snug to the bar when it arrives at bullet seating die. The detent ball and spring under the shell plate will snap the cartridge, full of powder to its stop and some of the powder will fly out making a mess and varying your charge. Ride the bar and the case into position and you will have no issue. I'm loading some 45 colt today and because of tall case and small amount of powder, no worries, let the bar snap in place and no powder lost.

That is why I own 2 Dillon 550's. I got very tired of switching primer tooling
I've been thinking about this myself for awhile. Bench space has kept me from following through but the status quo is shifting around here so I'll probably be building a new bench in the near future.

Recent Posts