Anyone used Hornady 7mm 190 grain A-tips for deer and antelope

pops1

Has anyone used Hornady 190 grain A-tips for deer and antelope. If so, how did they perform? Thinking about trying them on deer and antelope this fall.

I used 7mm 166grain atips on a doe this year. Shoulder shot her to keep her from running onto neighbors property. She hit the ground where she stood but did about 3 flips. Unfortunately the second one sent her over the bluff and onto the neighbors. Nothing like meeting new neighbors when you have to knock on their door and ask to retrieve your deer that flipped off a bluff. I got the deer and she made fine jerky. The atips will kill deer dead but wreck the off side if you shoulder shoot them.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info. My 7mm PRC likes these bullets. With this info I think I will try them. My wife loves this rifle and putting meat in the freezer. ADK, thanks for the offer, I have plenty of them for now, We will stay off the shoulder. We always stay behind the shoulder and punch lungs. Not as much meet in the ribs. High shoulder shots drop them but we love the meat in that area.

I've always believed in proportional response so the 7mm 190 gr. A-Tips get reserved for Elk and bigger bears. When I'm working on Antelope and Coues deer, I will generally take my .240 Weatherby using either the 110 gr. A-Tip or the Badlands 100 gr. SBD-2. Both are good for 850 yards and 2000+ fps for impact velocity.

Cross canyon shots on Coues deer are probable in some areas and antelope can be all over the place where I hunt in New Mexico. I had a stand off confrontation with an Antelope in NM at 400 yards. He faced me head on like he wanted to charge so I shot him in the chest. Face plant! Bullet was recovered in the ham.

I like all the A-tips in general.

:)

That is true !! Less meat to process And I've never heard anybody ever say man I could sure go for some antelope steaks.
There's probably someone on here that loves them
I'm one of those guys...but Nebraska antelope shot out of winter wheat fields or alfalfa are better than elk...antelope from Wyoming taste like adrenaline sage...dog food.

I used a 153 A-Tip in a 6.5 PRC successfully on a small whitetail buck. Broadside shot at 510 yards hit in lungs - bullet did not exit - DRT. I am very happy with they way they perform at long range. Cant wait to try on wolves this September.
Post pictures. This will be of interest to my buddy in Alaska

That is true !! Less meat to process And I've never heard anybody ever say man I could sure go for some antelope steaks.
There's probably someone on here that loves them
I've never bothered to go on a Pronghorn hunt. Too much travel, work and hot weather to deal with for such a small amount of meat. But I've eaten a good deal of American Pronghorn "antelope" (they're a unique North American species that is actually closely related to the the goat branch of the Bovidae family rather than antelope, though also quite closely related to the African giraffe.) Anyway the Pronghorn meat that I have eaten was harvested by good friends who were thoroughly competent at taking excellent care with the field dressing, skinning, icing down, transporting, butchering, wrapping and freezing of wild game and I found it all to be exceptionally good eating ..... with one exception!

The one exception was definitely on the repugnant side of normal table fare! But, after my first failure at trying to eat one of those steaks, I was able to rescue the rest of the "gift" meat by mixing it half and half with 80/20 pork which I seasoned with a mixture of High Mountain Wyoming™ breakfast sausage seasoning and pure Hatch, NM red chili powder which was then finely ground into bulk sausage. Scramble fried, added to a country breakfast gravy and served over freshly baked biscuits it was actually quite good. Sometime later when I next saw the friend who gifted me that 'lope meat he immediately apologized for sharing it with me. Said that his wife wound up combining all their meat off of that animal with various meat scraps and good quality veggies to make a stew that she cooked up for their bird dogs!

As for true USA antelope meat I've savored quite a bit of Gemsbok (Oryx) meat harvested by my younger brother, his wife and their two sons over the years down in the White Sands Missile Range/Jornada del Muerto region of southern New Mexico which is the best big game meat I've tasted, bar none!

Recent Posts