Advice on action for elk rifle???

slm9s

The last thing I need is ANOTHER elk rifle - I've been telling myself that for years.

So, of course I'm building a custom elk rifle. I am looking for a medium weight 300wsm rifle for hunting elk in the timber and across open loggings. Longest shot would be 600. Bullet would be 185 juggernaut or 180 accubond.

It started when I was reading some great accuracy reports of the 300wsm and the 185 juggernaut. I love the 300wsm (and 7wsm) and have brass and dies already. I also happened to have an Atlas Tactical SA mag boltface action sitting here unused. Then I grabbed a 18" 30 cal Proof blank and a Stocky's carbon stock and a Scythe can. Scope will be a Razor LHT 3-15x42. I have a Wyatt's bdl setup. Now that I have all the parts, I'm questioning whether to use the Atlas action or sell it and buy an actual lightweight action. It already feels "barrel heavy" mocked up, and that's without the can. I think the Atlas Tactical is 29 ounces.

Can someone with experience guess what the final build will weigh and can I get opinions on using the Atlas action or selling it and buying a lighter SA mag boltface action? I'd be open to any of the lightweight 700 clones - any recommendations? I'm a smooth action snob, but its an elk rifle so I don't need benchrest tolerances...

Thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

The last thing I need is ANOTHER elk rifle - I've been telling myself that for years.

So, of course I'm building a custom elk rifle. I am looking for a medium weight 300wsm rifle for hunting elk in the timber and across open loggings. Longest shot would be 600. Bullet would be 185 juggernaut or 180 accubond.

It started when I was reading some great accuracy reports of the 300wsm and the 185 juggernaut. I love the 300wsm (and 7wsm) and have brass and dies already. I also happened to have an Atlas Tactical SA mag boltface action sitting here unused. Then I grabbed a 18" 30 cal Proof blank and a Stocky's carbon stock and a Scythe can. Scope will be a Razor LHT 3-15x42. I have a Wyatt's bdl setup. Now that I have all the parts, I'm questioning whether to use the Atlas action or sell it and buy an actual lightweight action. It already feels "barrel heavy" mocked up, and that's without the can. I think the Atlas Tactical is 29 ounces.

Can someone with experience guess what the final build will weigh and can I get opinions on using the Atlas action or selling it and buying a lighter SA mag boltface action? I'd be open to any of the lightweight 700 clones - any recommendations? I'm a smooth action snob, but its an elk rifle so I don't need benchrest tolerances...

Thoughts?
Thanks in advance.
Sounds like you'll be just under 8 lbs as is. That sounds like a medium weight hunting rifle to me. That's actually a lightweight rifle to me. I think the action you have is a great mid weight hunting action.

If it is already feeling "barrel heavy", why would you want to cut back on action weight. That is what helps bring balance to it. Going lighter on the action will only move the balance point further out.

Thanks for everyone's responses.

Its barely barrel-heavy, and I'd much rather have it be barrel-heavy than barrel-light.

I've had 3 300wsm's in the past and with hunting bullets like the 180 accubond it does great in a short action IME.

When you say "8 pounds" are you including the scope in your estimate?

Last edited:
Thanks for everyone's responses.

Its barely barrel-heavy, and I'd much rather have it be barrel-heavy than barrel-light.

I've had 3 300wsm's in the past and with hunting bullets like the 180 accubond it does great in a short action IME.

When you say "8 pounds" are you including the scope in your estimate?

Thanks for the clarification.

I think that the 180 grain Accubonds are very good bullets too, however in a short action, you are pretty much limited to loading them to mag length. If you go with a LA, you can load them out much closer to the lands and if you do a custom throat on your chambering, you can now get those 185 Juggs out to the point where you are not eating up powder capacity and really make the whole thing shine.

about all I can contribute

Attachments

• IMG_2549.jpeg
    IMG_2549.jpeg
    281.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2550.jpeg
    IMG_2550.jpeg
    275.7 KB · Views: 31
I won't guess how many rifles I've built for hunting elk or any other 4-legged beast in the North America.

I will gently suggest that you are overthinking this project.

You have obviously taken your time to decide on the components you want to use. Your suppressor will add less than 1/2lb and slightly more than 6" to your 18" barrel. Adding the scope mounts and ammunition will improve the handling. Choosing a good gunsmith to handle the build is important.

I suggest that this is really good to go for your hunt. The action is terrific, don't second guess it.

Best of Luck on your hunt!

:)