416 rigby

ARlife4me

What is your favorite cartridge you have or want that uses 416 Rigby base and why you love it so? The only cartridge I currently have with that base is a 338lm. I'm trying to decide on what I might want that uses the same bolt as either 300nm or 300lm comes to mind. I don't want to have/use anything special to make brass for it, but probably is limited on selections?

What is your favorite cartridge you have or want that uses 416 Rigby base and why you love it so? The only cartridge I currently have with that base is a 338lm. I'm trying to decide on what I might want that uses the same bolt as either 300nm or 300lm comes to mind. I don't want to have/use anything special to make brass for it, but probably is limited on selections?
Do you already have a receiver for that rim dia? What are you wanting it for? I've been wanting to build a 35 whelen.
If you don't have a receiver yet I would consider it. You could find a 270 or 06 receiver a lot cheaper to start with unless you're looking for shots past 300 yards. And plenty of 06 and 270 brass to make 35 whelen brass. Poor mans 375 h&h

if you're looking for mag fed then the two you mentioned are the best options but if you want a little more and possible single feed look into the 33XC case. basically, a 338lm long, the length of the 300 ultra mag. brass is readily available from Peterson and when paired with 245-250 class bullets makes a long range hammer.

Do you already have a receiver for that rim dia? What are you wanting it for? I've been wanting to build a 35 whelen.
If you don't have a receiver yet I would consider it. You could find a 270 or 06 receiver a lot cheaper to start with unless you're looking for shots past 300 yards. And plenty of 06 and 270 brass to make 35 whelen brass. Poor mans 375 h&h
I do have a receiver.

The cartridge/gun is a just for fun ad I don't hunt. Any of my 6 kids might 1 day, but unsure about that?

target out to 1000-1200yds stick with the 300NM. available components and reasonable to reload compared to the other longer cases. with the price and supply of powder the 300NM is the answer

How about a 450 Rigby?!
All of my 416 based rifles, including the 450 Rigby, have been on modified CZ550 Safari Magnum actions. My current 416 Rigby is also semi custom CZ550, holds 4 down and cycles like butter.
My wildcats, 300-416 Rigby Improved 35°, 338-416 Rigby Improved 45° & 375-416 Rigby Improved 35° are all in single shot CZ550 Safari Magnum actions. Magazines are blanked off and not functional.
I am also tinkering with changing them all to 33/37XC wildcats, it would make forming brass easier and I want 40°-45° shoulders across the board to extend throat life. 35° shoulders are borderline and I have already changed the 30 cal to 40° but haven't fitted the barrel up.

Cheers.

Most of what you guys do takes way more time than I have as I barely have time to shoot and reload. Going 416 or 450 Rigby would be nice with solids. Has anyone used any brass bullets. I figured it would be to hard and not engrave like copper would?

Most of what you guys do takes way more time than I have as I barely have time to shoot and reload. Going 416 or 450 Rigby would be nice with solids. Has anyone used any brass bullets. I figured it would be to hard and not engrave like copper would?
Yes, I have used solid brass bullets from Woodleigh and custom CNC turned solid VLD 338 cal bullets in the above wildcat, it weighs 323g and does not deform. I HBN coat to reduce friction, even though there are 5 relief grooves cut into the shank.

Cheers.