220 Swift build….

Much as I love the old Swifto, it sure can be problematic to find brass for the bugger. I'd buy as much as you can when you find it!

Last one I did I AI'd it, I AI to reduce trimming and not for the extra speed.

Best of luck to ya in your project with your son

Swift issues to resolve:

Freebore length on gunsmith's reamer
Web dia
Neck dia

There is one heck of a difference between Norma and Win and Rem brass, night and day!

So you know, a 22/250 AI will best Swift speed and accuracy, and the Creed is it's kissing cousin!
My Criterion barrel in 22250 AI arrived friday

Picking the one thing about the .220 Swift on a build, 🤔 I'd say get enough barrel a minimum of 26" inches, then perhaps look at a bit longer you can't go wrong with a little extra barrel in a .220 Swift. The twisting thing I think is determined by the bullet weights you want to use and the game, plus the range/distances you'd like to run it to. Just my 0.2 I love the Swift! Cheers

I'm a Swift shooter ....don't have her any more ....22 -250 ackley is my current build..
my advice ....go 26" barrel Criterion M24 contour
1-10" twist ... Stainless......Lapped
thread her and put a 30 cal can ....Aero Lahar 30L

shoot the 69 grain Sierra TMK with IMR 4064 ...

Toss an Arken EP5 x 25 on her ...

any action ... Tikka would be best ...a Manners or McMillan Stock A5
brother you just built a rifle for a life time ....If somebody built that rifle for me
I'd love them till their last breath and beyond.....

Much as I love the old Swifto, it sure can be problematic to find brass for the bugger. I'd buy as much as you can when you find it!

Last one I did I AI'd it, I AI to reduce trimming and not for the extra speed.

Best of luck to ya in your project with your son
You'd have a harder time finding 22 250 brass currently

Thus, my request for info on a reputable/experienced Swift builder….honestly, I've suggested 22GT (already have a 6GT) or a .204 Ruger, but he's wanting a Swift….need to visit with someone who has lots of experience for a little guidance before we set this in stone!
Make sure you can find brass! I'd be surprised if anyone still factory loads for it.

Walked into my local gun shop yesterday to pick up a few things that had been ordered. Owner had just bought a handful of rifles from a guy and was showing me to see if I was interested in anything, when I noticed a newish box with Remington Classic on the end. What cartridge I asked? 220 Swift was the answer.....How much was the next question? Six Fifty was the answer!
Brand new & unfired in the box :p

A57241DF-E364-49B3-A893-5D6FD26EDC34.jpeg

I say build the 220 shift if that's what you want. I have one built off a German Mauser 09 (98 Mauser). Was going to rebsrrel it for 22 creed but something about the 220 swift has always intrigued me. I just wish I had a 1:9 twist or so so I could shoot heavy bullets. Can't even get 55 grain vmax bullets to hit a paper plate at 250 with it. She sends 40 grain bullets like a laser though! I'd recommend getting a higher twist than what you need for a 50 grain bullet in case you want to shoot something heavier in the future like a Berger.