Peterson Brass Belted Mag Basic Unprimed Box of 50

I gave the Peterson Basic Belted Magnum brass a second chance after seeing this thread. I attempted it about 2 years ago to make 375 Ackley Brass but the necks crinkled; the 416 Rem Mag die fixed that.
From left to right is an unsized Basic case, .416 Rem Mag, .375 Ackley, 8mm Rem Mag and 7 STW. The two on the far right folded when I annealed between the .375 Ackley and 8mm Rem Mag. Annealing seems to make the shoulders too soft to withstand the pressure of neck sizing to this degree
lol 😂 the far right ones look unsurcomsized 😂

Turtle head brass 😁

So got my die set up and properly going. The forming bushing are in .025 steps...starts out at .475 down to .309. I did figure out annealing is a bad idea until after 3 steps of necking down.. nuked the case in my amp annealer..after that I just annealed every other stage. One thing I did different this go around after having weird things happen to the neck and shoulder (moving around unexpectedly) is I trimmed to 2.855 after the neck down to .350. (When it'd fit in my Rockford trimmer). I also didn't set shoulders to my fired cases dimension since it's got "steps" in it and looks almost like a weatherby case...I did first one long and just bumped shoulder back untill I could close the bolt with slight resistance...almost like a Ackley fit. I also got the idea to fireform cases with pistol powder and coffee grounds. 12 gr titegroup,paper towel barrier, filled with used espresso coffee grounds from my wife's crack...coffee habit. Then another layer of paper towel wad to seal...these formed better than fireforming the first batch with a mild load and bullet..never did this before but after much scientific research (googled the **** out of it) I decided this route was worth a shot instead of sending rounds down a limited life barrel...first trial shot was in the garage with my 13 yr old son standing watch for the dragon/wife or the cops...pointed the rifle at a sheet of plywood backed by cement board, held on tight, squeezed the trigger and hoped I didn't blow my nuts off somehow. Decent "Pop!" And I had a perfect stw case formed exactly how I wanted it. We would have gotten away with it too but the boy ratted me out...needless to say wifezilla was not happy about rifles being touched off in the garage so now Im just gonna do it at the range if I need to again...and a certain boy was told snitches get stitches. I'm gonna try to make it to the range in next couple of days and work up a ladder to see the top end of the brass. Will report my findings on the Peterson vs nosler brass.

Attachments

• PXL_20240422_165312988.jpg
    PXL_20240422_165312988.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 53
  • PXL_20240422_171646088.jpg
    PXL_20240422_171646088.jpg
    329.9 KB · Views: 52
  • PXL_20240422_171659048.jpg
    PXL_20240422_171659048.jpg
    332.5 KB · Views: 52
I gave the Peterson Basic Belted Magnum brass a second chance after seeing this thread. I attempted it about 2 years ago to make 375 Ackley Brass but the necks crinkled; the 416 Rem Mag die fixed that.
From left to right is an unsized Basic case, .416 Rem Mag, .375 Ackley, 8mm Rem Mag and 7 STW. The two on the far right folded when I annealed between the .375 Ackley and 8mm Rem Mag. Annealing seems to make the shoulders too soft to withstand the pressure of neck sizing to this degree
Hate that when it happens.

So been busy this month because the slave driver aka wife has me remodeling the house/everything....so far I've noticed that the Peterson brass isn't showing any pressure signs and I'm up to 2 grns over what nosler brass was screaming for mercy at. Velocity is slower than nosler brass at same charge weights but the only thing I can think of is my Labradar is true and my old Caldwell Chrono read fast...after I find top end for ***** and giggles I'm going to load up a nosler brass with my old load of 81.8 gr of n570 and see if it reads the same as when I originally chronographed it at 3130fps with the Caldwell...if it reads slow on my Labradar well then I know where the discrepancy is. I'm sure I'm close to pressure as my last shot had a jump of nearly 30fps with only .2 grns increase and from what I've seen that's a sign I'm getting close.

Attachments

• PXL_20240526_195601767.jpg
    PXL_20240526_195601767.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 20
  • PXL_20240526_195613722.jpg
    PXL_20240526_195613722.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 19
So I did weigh my cleaned and sized cases...nosler is 264 grns and Peterson was 253 grns...same exact length etc...and on my amp annealer the code is 134 (exact same as my 300 win Peterson long brass ) for Peterson and 162 for nosler...

So got my die set up and properly going. The forming bushing are in .025 steps...starts out at .475 down to .309. I did figure out annealing is a bad idea until after 3 steps of necking down.. nuked the case in my amp annealer..after that I just annealed every other stage. One thing I did different this go around after having weird things happen to the neck and shoulder (moving around unexpectedly) is I trimmed to 2.855 after the neck down to .350. (When it'd fit in my Rockford trimmer). I also didn't set shoulders to my fired cases dimension since it's got "steps" in it and looks almost like a weatherby case...I did first one long and just bumped shoulder back untill I could close the bolt with slight resistance...almost like a Ackley fit. I also got the idea to fireform cases with pistol powder and coffee grounds. 12 gr titegroup,paper towel barrier, filled with used espresso coffee grounds from my wife's crack...coffee habit. Then another layer of paper towel wad to seal...these formed better than fireforming the first batch with a mild load and bullet..never did this before but after much scientific research (googled the **** out of it) I decided this route was worth a shot instead of sending rounds down a limited life barrel...first trial shot was in the garage with my 13 yr old son standing watch for the dragon/wife or the cops...pointed the rifle at a sheet of plywood backed by cement board, held on tight, squeezed the trigger and hoped I didn't blow my nuts off somehow. Decent "Pop!" And I had a perfect stw case formed exactly how I wanted it. We would have gotten away with it too but the boy ratted me out...needless to say wifezilla was not happy about rifles being touched off in the garage so now Im just gonna do it at the range if I need to again...and a certain boy was told snitches get stitches. I'm gonna try to make it to the range in next couple of days and work up a ladder to see the top end of the brass. Will report my findings on the Peterson vs nosler brass.
On your third firing or the last picture, I note that end of the case or neck was messed up somewhat. Can you shed a little more light or info in that. Mike

On your third firing or the last picture, I note that end of the case or neck was messed up somewhat. Can you shed a little more light or info in that. Mike
Ah I see...yeah that was one of the cases where I tried annealing it after first step down....after that I figured out have to go to at least .425 so the brass is thick enough or it melts on edges in the annealer. On that case I just trimmed it to spec...it was melted on the edge but the cases need .060 trimmed to be at my spec and it worked out where the nuked edge was trimmed off.

I asked them awhile ago...they said it's gonna be at least a year or more...which sucks because with my new die I can pretty much make any belted case.
That's sad and frustrating for those who use it I'm sure. I can't stand that, it seems every company in this business expands their offerings faster than they can actually keep up with demand. I understand trying to cover as many bases and serve as many customers as possible but I do wish they'd commit to being able to acceptably serve existing customers by keeping up and staying on top of supply for existing winning products before trying to offer as many different options as possible to as many new customers as possible and in the end not be DEPENDABLE, RELIABLE, to have what a person wants when they want it. Try having something for everyone ain't worth it if it means no one can count on you. I don't want to buy a product only to discover that i probably won't be able to get my hands on it again, need to back order, need to wait over a year, (I've been done with Alliant and Nosler for a while now) bla bla bla - actually commit to a product being available for real or don't freaking offer it in the first place! 😡.

Last edited:

Recent Posts