Need some help

This is my thought process, if the base was purchased after the action was drilled, what did they use as a guide?

If it was available at the time it was drilled, did the use the rail as the guide? If so, how did they accomplish it without the rail being seated properly on the action?

Questions, I am curious to see what you figure out?
All great questions, just don't have the answers. This action belonged to my friend's grandfather, and I did a bunch of work to it. It was a 7 Mag, and rebarreled and rechambered to 7 PRC. Put a barn wood dipped McMillan stock on it and a jewell trigger. Best part is, I had the family's cattle brands cerakoted on the stock in the same locations they would appear on the cattle. I think it turned out awesome.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 40
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 32
I'd modify the ring in the back...Drexel out some of the metal so it matches up close enough to get the scope on....I've done that with dovetail rings...modified bases to work with an aftermarket peep for mzldr too......

This is my thought process, if the base was purchased after the action was drilled, what did they use as a guide?

If it was available at the time it was drilled, did the use the rail as the guide? If so, how did they accomplish it without the rail being seated properly on the action?

Questions, I am curious to see what you figure out?
It is a factory R700 action. They drill millions of them without having a base in hand.

Question.
Did you check if it is the HOLES that are not drilled straight?
Or just checked the rail? Could be the rail that is not drilled straight. Do you have another rail to check? Not saying Warne are junk, but it might be that easy..

Burris does make a 34mm set with the inserts for either adding MOA or adjusting for misalignment.

Last edited:
All great questions, just don't have the answers. This action belonged to my friend's grandfather, and I did a bunch of work to it. It was a 7 Mag, and rebarreled and rechambered to 7 PRC. Put a barn wood dipped McMillan stock on it and a jewell trigger. Best part is, I had the family's cattle brands cerakoted on the stock in the same locations they would appear on the cattle. I think it turned out awesome.
That's a VERY COOL rifle!

It is a factory R700 action. They drill millions of them without having a base in hand.

It has a stripper clip cut, that is old, earliest it could be is late 60s, it's possible that the action never had screws from the factory for a scope. Iron sights only and then there is the bridge height differences in the early early 700s. See attached picture for more information.

Curious what the serial number is

IMG_4055.jpeg

Do you know, for a fact, that the earliest M700s were drilled? The OP has an old one.
The R700 was released in 1962.
I had a "Legacy" R700 that was 1964 built according to the serial #. It had drilled holes for ring mounts. Bolt handles, bolt body finish, bolt shroud were all different in the older models.

I have seen a few R700s that had ring holes drilled out of alignment. Not necessarily old ones either.

Recent Posts