Looking to book a hog hunt

If you have Facebook you can join the Texas predator and hog hunting page. If an outfit is shady....you will read about it there. Lots of guys are offering $200-$300 packages with guns and ammo provided. All you gotta do is rent a car or buy a ticket and head south west.

Every peice of private property in the state of Texas has a fence on it. Fences don't mean anything to hogs so don't get hung up on hunting "true wild hogs". Come down here and kill as many as you can.

*There are exceptions to these rules.*

1. You get what you pay for. A guy charging $200/day *likely* has lower success and fewer opportunities than the guys at $800 or more.

2. If you see an operation who charges by the lb, usually, they are buying pigs to stock their ranch. If you are ok with it, go have fun!

3. Hunting Pressure. Pigs are funny. If you have a pig outfit that doesn't have a massive amount of land, you may struggle because they adapt very quickly to hunting pressure.

You might look for guys doing night hunts on crops. Those are fun and often goid success

I've been on 2 different types of guided hog hunts. In one case (southern oklahoma) we arrived mid morning to a 150 acre high fence facility. We had a quick welcome meeting, and safety discussion and then got dressed for a spot and stalk type hunt. Granted, the guide know where the hogs like to hang out in the heat of the day, but what the heck....good fishing guides know where good fish hang out in certain conditions too. It wasnt as cheesy as it sounds. We had 6 guys and we got two pigs in the session. We then came back to the lodge, had lunch and a quick nap (long drive) and we went and sat in treestands over feeders that had timers on them to go.off at dusk. The pigs came in like a heard of Buffalo when the feeder went off, but we're very figitty and hard to settle on. It wasn't as easy as picking one and shooting. Also, after the feeders went off elsewhere, they started coming a d going into/out of the bait. It was fun to try to pick out a big one, or one with interesting color. We stayed overnight, and then went back out to treestands in the morning for the same experience. We all got atleast one pig. A couple of us got multiples.

The second experience was also a semi-guided night time stand hunt over bait on the edge of a crop field. The outfitter simply provided the lodging and access to the baited blinds. You did your own cooking and all the care for any animals that you harvested. While this wasn't initially as much fun, because it was much more natural and much less 'opportunity', when we walked out to the hunting blind through a crop field that was not planted to bait pigs, but rather for traditional harvest by a hard-working farmer, the motivation and urgency factor increased significantly. This field, and I'm sure many like it were dessimated. It became more of a mission and less like recreation. Same outcome, but different experience, different number of opportunities, less cost, and yes, I would do it again.

Best advice is to ask lots of questions and talk to references. Other advice would be to pay more not less on the first trip, as the cost is almost always relative to how much time/effort the outfitter is going to spend with you. If youve never done it before, having true guidance helps a lot with the experience.

I have been volunteered to look for an outfitter for hunting hogs. I am new to hog hunting. I have read most of the first two or three pages on this forum, enough to get some idea about a hunt. But... I am new to this and I am quite certain there are a number of "ins and outs" that I have not read about in these few pages. We black bear hunt in Maine, so we are familiar with hunting, just not hog hunting. Our hunting equipment is set up for daytime hunting, thermal hunting is not quite in the picture as to date. Also I have read in other forums and articles where the hunting is more like wandering into the local zoo and picking out an animal to shoot in a fenced in area. This is quite not what we are looking for. We are in the Rhode Island area, a 6-8 hour drive would be ideal for us to find an outfitter. My questions are how do we locate a reputable outfitter, what ought we be looking for to book a hunt, the best times to book a hunt, what does a normal day of hog hunting look like, is there a ratio of hunter to guide that we ought to be asking about, approximately how much would/should a hog hunt cost for a hunt? I have seen some fairly steep prices on three day hunts, I just do not know if these are reasonable prices. Again we are totally new to this type of hunting with lots of unknowns, but we would like to try another kind of hunt. I am quite certain that I have come to the right place with all of my questions.Thanks for any replies/help, and for taking the time to answer some of my questions.
You can just find an outfitter that has thermals and rifles for you to use. Don't even bother day hunting in my opinion. For success Texas is a good place to go and it seems outbfitters are reasonably priced. Some offer lodging. A good one down there that I know of would be Jeremy Simpson at High Plains Hunts. If I didn't have a friend down there, I would go with him. They shoot a ton of pigs.

Suggestion from experience. I have thermal and my son has NV scopes. I have used the thermal for years, but my 2 sons and I have pretty much decided that for 50 to 100 yard shots, a good regular scope with illuminated reticle or a red dot, combined with a good green hunting flashlight mounted to the scope or barrel is about all you need. That is, provided that you don't have a reason for not wanting to be seen.
The thermal is good for scanning and locating animals. The red dot/scope w/ green light is good for shooting animals.

we have been hog hunting for the last 20 years in Texas and Ok.. both free range and high fence. I would recommend a high fence of at least 130 or so acres. Yes these hogs are trapped and the brought in but are still wild.Been charged enough times to know. we were at All About U Ranch at Pauls Valley,Ok. for 14 years but was sold and new owner took it to the groundso moved on . Booked at Prairie Fire at Bristol,Ok and they scamed the 8 of us out $650. So search very carefully. We went to Hog Wild in Purchell Ok. this year after checking it out. Was a good ranch. Most hunts will cost $300 to $350 a day which includes one hog a day depends if they supply food or you do. Most include lodging but check. Study the ranch rules hunting rules very carefully.will save you a lot of grief. If
you draw blood its yours. Also check if they skin and quarter the pigs and how much. And yes its addictive.I hope you find a nice place and are able to go,best of luck

*There are exceptions to these rules.*

1. You get what you pay for. A guy charging $200/day *likely* has lower success and fewer opportunities than the guys at $800 or more.

2. If you see an operation who charges by the lb, usually, they are buying pigs to stock their ranch. If you are ok with it, go have fun!

3. Hunting Pressure. Pigs are funny. If you have a pig outfit that doesn't have a massive amount of land, you may struggle because they adapt very quickly to hunting pressure.

You might look for guys doing night hunts on crops. Those are fun and often goid success
We only hunt them at night, it's a lot of fun

You are pretty far north for hogs. I know Maryland, Virginia, and North Carolina have hogs, but I'm not sure about how much further north one can find them.

Hogs come out early in the morning and late in the evening. They will wander around during day if you go to a fenced in area to hunt, since the outfitters bait them to come out. You will rarely see wild hogs out during the daytime in the wild. I wasted several hundred hours of hunting before I figured that out. Go on fenced hunt if you want a guaranteed kill.

As far as cost goes, I wouldn't pay more than a few hundred per day per hunter.

Thermals and NV are a significant investment, so a normal scope at daylight and dusk will work.

Just a warning - hog hunting his HIGHLY addictive, so be prepared for many hunts to come if you start down this path!
NC and Ga have plenty of hogs and no 2A restrictions plus you can hunt all year just do your research and you can definitely find a reputable outfitter. The heat has started now and hogs are going to be out at night unless dogs are used…Best if you use NV over shining they get gone fast.

If you end up in TX, take a look at Helibacon in Bryan. Took my son there the end of March for his senior year trip. Did the helicopter hunt in the morning with full auto FN 5.56 then that night hunted hogs in pastures with NV, thermals and suppressed AR10s. Little pricey vs some but equipment was top notch, reputation is great and couldn't of had more fun with my son.

If you have Facebook you can join the Texas predator and hog hunting page. If an outfit is shady....you will read about it there. Lots of guys are offering $200-$300 packages with guns and ammo provided. All you gotta do is rent a car or buy a ticket and head south west.

Every peice of private property in the state of Texas has a fence on it. Fences don't mean anything to hogs so don't get hung up on hunting "true wild hogs". Come down here and kill as many as you can.
My neighbor has a high fence well made, barb at the bottom lock tight 8 ft net with two strands of barb on top about 10 feet high, pipe every 100 feet with 1.33 tpost every 10 ft. That still doesn't keep the hogs in or out. I have seen them at a dead run hit the bottom like a wedge and keep going. Just saying. I'm sitting in a box blind as I write waiting for the pigs to peak out of the brush.