300 win mag N570

DoubleGobble00

So far I've shot a ladder test and these groups with N570. I think my load will be between 78.5 and 79 grains. All three shot good. I plan to go back on 0.1 increments to fine tune then do seating test again.

300 win mag
ABM brass 2x
210M
215 Berger
250 yards

542226bd395aa5aef12ea09c02ff9e47.jpg

de3ed028423ae47ef8ec00533298ec37.jpg

3954d5936752e9a840c7b625f5d3d3e3.jpg

DoubleG

Yeah I was impressed... This gun didn't shoot good with H1000 or 8133 really, but the N570 has really shined. The velocity is amazing but it is a 28" tube. I think my OAL is around 3.615. I just measure my seating stem of my Wilson die so I don't track OAL.

Very interesting, I see on hodgdons chart 570 is right beside 8133. I'm planning to try 8133 soon with 225 elds in my 300 win. If for some reason it's not satisfying I'll have to add this powder to my to do list. I've never used anything other than the Hodgdon, imr, and Alliant powders. How heavily compressed was this load?

Very interesting, I see on hodgdons chart 570 is right beside 8133. I'm planning to try 8133 soon with 225 elds in my 300 win. If for some reason it's not satisfying I'll have to add this powder to my to do list. I've never used anything other than the Hodgdon, imr, and Alliant powders. How heavily compressed was this load?
8133 was a disappointment in my Lapua improved. Showed pressure really early with lower velocities and it's a very bulky powder. Sometimes that's good but I don't think the 300 win has enough extra volume. If you do get to try it please share your results

The load is not compressed. In fact, I wish it was a little compressed since that seems to decrease ES and SD. Once I fine tune seating depth, it may be slightly compressed but right now, I can shake it and heat powder.

I was disappointed with 8133. The H1000 was great but I got more velocity with N570. I tested three powders in this gun. As always, start low and work up. Each gun is different. See below:
DAB58551-A582-4BAA-A841-8FE15841261A.jpeg

6B4EC982-ACAD-498D-AA47-F3553EB24FDC.jpeg

8133 was a disappointment in my Lapua improved. Showed pressure really early with lower velocities and it's a very bulky powder. Sometimes that's good but I don't think the 300 win has enough extra volume. If you do get to try it please share your results

Will do. Reason I purchased it was that hodgdons data shows 8133 cleaning house in .300 win mag with 208 amax and 230 hybrids. 2950 and 2830 fps respectively. Both compressed loads. I may need a drop tube

The load is not compressed. In fact, I wish it was a little compressed since that seems to decrease ES and SD. Once I fine tune seating depth, it may be slightly compressed but right now, I can shake it and heat powder.

I was disappointed with 8133. The H1000 was great but I got more velocity with N570. I tested three powders in this gun. As always, start low and work up. Each gun is different. See below:
View attachment 135777
View attachment 135778
79.5 of N570 looks like a great node!

N570, being a double based powder, will give you an edge on velocity bs single based powder. Velocity does come at a price though. Although negligible if this is just a hunting rifle, it will erode the throat faster if firing multiple strings.

N570, being a double based powder, will give you an edge on velocity bs single based powder. Velocity does come at a price though. Although negligible if this is just a hunting rifle, it will erode the throat faster if firing multiple strings.

Just to be clear, are you saying that the barrel wear will be greater on account of the higher velocity or are you saying that double base powders are inherently more erosive (as in more chemically harsh or generating higher temperatures)?

Just to be clear, are you saying that the barrel wear will be greater on account of the higher velocity or are you saying that double base powders are inherently more erosive (as in more chemically harsh or generating higher temperatures)?
The erosive part. I've only experienced this in competition though with double based powders. That's why said for hunting it is negligible. I use them in some hunting rounds am very pleased. Just wanted to caution in firing long strings back to back.

View attachment 135777
View attachment 135778
Wait...WHAT! 3054fps with 79gr and you're not compressed and with no pressure indications? For real? I know you're using a 28" barrel but with 215gr Bregers that's incredible. What does VV indicate pressure should be with the loads on your great chart? Heck 79gr with 3054 looks good to me, I'd just tinker with seating depth, or not. Wow, great info, thanks for sharing.
DocB

Recent Posts