Zastava M70 Mauser

itsthemann

Have an opportunity to snag a Zastava M70 Mauser clone for pretty cheap. I'm a fan of Mauser actions, just curious if these are decent, or if they are compatible with other mauser barrels. Any info is appreciated.

This brings back fond memories! My dad had bought one ages ago and had a gunsmith re-shape it to a sporter style hunting rifle and he also made dad some ammo. We went to a local range with one of dad's best friends who brought his lever actioned 30/30. I shot both and the 8mm was by far the most comfortable! But, boy did it hit the berm hard with those big bullets! I have been in love with Mausers ever since. For not long range hunting, shooting, its a fine round.

Zastava is an old Serbian arms manufacturer that has been making Mausers continuously for many years. They make excellent Mausers of very high quality. They are not clones. Zastava licensed the production of the M24 Mauser from FN Herstal in 1924, which has continued with the last version of the military M48 Mauser in 1948 and the M70 civilian sporter version you mention. I have owned several of them over the years. Their hammer forged barrels are very accurate. Of course, it takes barrels made for large ring Mausers. Make sure you find a good gunsmith if you do change the barrel, as it not like rebarreling a Remington 700. You may find that the 8mm cartridge is a darn fine hunting round with modern bullets.

Zavasta Mauser is the action used by Interarms for their Mark X rifles and Remington used them for their 798 rifles .
I have one in the white it's a little rough and by that I mean it came that way from the factory and would have to be polished up by a gunsmith before having a rifle built .

They are good rifles and a great action.