Your Dream Waterfowl Shotgun - What Features Would You Include?

EM0N1X

Hi everyone,

I'm curious about what makes the ideal waterfowl shotgun in your eyes. If you could build the perfect waterfowl shotgun with all the best features and components, what would you include?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the following aspects:

1. Gauge and Barrel Length
    • Gauge: Which gauge do you prefer for waterfowl hunting and why? How do different gauges affect your shooting experience and effectiveness?
    • Barrel Length: What barrel length do you find offers the best balance between maneuverability and shot pattern? Do you prefer shorter barrels for quick handling or longer barrels for better accuracy and range?
  2. Materials and Finish
    • Materials: What materials do you think are essential for durability and weather resistance? (e.g., stainless steel, synthetic stocks, carbon fiber)
    • Finish: How important is corrosion resistance to you, and what finishes do you prefer for protection against the elements? (e.g., Cerakote, blued finish)
  3. Weight and Balance
    • Weight: What is the ideal weight for a waterfowl shotgun to ensure it's not too heavy for carrying but stable enough for accurate shooting?
    • Balance: How do you prefer the shotgun to be balanced (e.g., more weight towards the muzzle or the stock)? How does balance affect your shooting performance?
  4. Chokes
    • Types of Chokes: What types of chokes do you consider essential for waterfowl hunting? Do you prefer specific constrictions for different hunting scenarios?
    • Interchangeable vs. Fixed: Do you prefer fixed or interchangeable chokes, and why? How often do you change chokes in the field?
  5. Action Type
    • Action Type: What action type do you prefer for waterfowl hunting: pump-action, semi-automatic, or another type? What are the pros and cons of your preferred action type in terms of reliability, ease of use, and maintenance?
  6. Stock and Ergonomics
    • Stock Materials: What stock materials and designs do you find most comfortable and functional? (e.g., wood, synthetic, adjustable)
    • Ergonomic Features: Do you prefer adjustable stocks for customizing fit, and if so, what adjustments are most important (e.g., length of pull, comb height)? How do these adjustments impact your shooting comfort and accuracy?
  7. Sights and Optics
    • Sights: What type of sights do you find most effective for waterfowl hunting? (e.g., bead sights, fiber optic sights)
    • Optics: Are there specific brands or models of optics that you trust for enhancing your shooting accuracy and target acquisition?
  8. Accessories and Modifications
    • Essential Accessories: What accessories do you consider essential (e.g., slings, recoil pads, shell holders)? How do these accessories enhance your hunting experience?
    • Aftermarket Parts: Are there any modifications or aftermarket parts that you think significantly enhance performance? (e.g., extended magazine tubes, custom triggers)
  9. Trigger
    • Trigger Pull: How important is the trigger pull weight and feel to you? What is your preferred trigger pull weight for optimal control?
    • Trigger Features: Do you prefer any specific trigger features or brands that provide a smoother or more consistent pull?
  10. Bolt Release and Small Parts
    • Bolt Release: How important is the design and placement of the bolt release for you? Do you have preferences for ease of access and operation?
    • Small Parts Sizing: What are your thoughts on the sizing and ergonomics of small parts like the safety, bolt handle, and magazine release? How do these impact your overall handling and ease of use?
  11. Innovative Features and Technologies
    • New Technologies: Are there any new technologies or innovative features you would like to see in a waterfowl shotgun? (e.g., integrated rangefinders, smart shot counters)
    • Tech Integration: How important is the integration of modern technology in traditional shotguns for you?
  12. Brand Preferences
    • Preferred Brands: Do you have any preferred brands for the different components or the shotgun as a whole? What experiences have led you to prefer these brands?
    • Brand Loyalty: How does brand reputation and customer service influence your choices?
I'm eager to hear your thoughts and experiences. What would your dream shotgun look like, and why?

Thanks in advance for your input!

For my Duck gun is a Winchester 101 20 gauge with 30 inch barrels full and mod chokes.
For my Goose gun is a Winchester 101 12 gauge with 30 inch barrels full and inpmod chokes.
For my Teal gun is a Winchester 101 20 gauge with 26 inch barrels full and mod. for the speedster.
I love my Winchester 101 all hand loads

For my Duck gun is a Winchester 101 20 gauge with 30 inch barrels full and mod chokes.
For my Goose gun is a Winchester 101 12 gauge with 30 inch barrels full and inpmod chokes.
For my Teal gun is a Winchester 101 20 gauge with 26 inch barrels full and mod. for the speedster.
I love my Winchester 101 all hand loads
How long ago did you get these?

Last edited:
HA! Im a firm believer in the KISS method. The less moving parts the better! It takes a lot of bad experience to come this conclusion but, I would recommend a new (old stock) or slightly used beretta 686 onyx or citori hunter in 12 or 20. Both those models have performed flawlessly through time across many years. I own and like a Benelli SBE and they are great weapons but, i have yet to see one perform as consistently as a two-shooter.
If you are on a budget, there is a whole lot right and very little wrong with an old 870 wingmaster!

Recent Posts