You No Longer Need a Satellite Phone If You Have An iPhone 14 or Later

LDHunter

I just found about this feature on new iPhones version 14 or later and mine is a 15.

You can use satellites for texting if you update to iOS 18 which was released last week. It's an update you have to look for. Here's how....

Go to updates and look below the current update and it might say "other updates available" and click on 18. You might have to look for it like I did.

Here's a bulletin from Apple on how to use it.

Its a nice feature to have but doesn't replace a satellite communicator for many purposes. Mostly because your cell phone isn't nearly as durable as a proper communicator, plenty of things can damage or disable it. It can't be worn in an accessible location on the exterior of your pack like you'd want for an emergency beacon and the battery will be used much more quickly. I'd rather save the phone for primary mapping (with a physical backup), as a backup ballistics calculator, and for leisure/fun without worrying about it being my only emergency communication device. Particularly on multi-day hunts where battery may be an issue. I carry a 5000mAh battery pack but that still only gets me through a week using my phone occasionally