Yet Another Wyoming Grizzley Attack

Wedgy

https://www.foxnews.com/us/grizzly-bear-attacks-hunter-in-mountains-north-of-yellowstone

Grizzly bear attacks hunter in mountains north of Yellowstone

This photo provided by Bob Legasa shows him in a hospital in Livingston, Mont., Sunday, Oct. 14, 2018, after a bear attack the day before. (Bob Legasa via AP)

A grizzly bear sunk her teeth into an elk hunter's arm and clawed his eye on Saturday after he surprised the sow and her cub north of Yellowstone National Park, according to the victim.

Bob Legasa, 57, and his hunting buddy were walking toward some elk in Livingston when he heard a cub growl. Shortly after, the cub's mother ran full speed in his direction.

"I was hoping it was going to be a bluff charge, and halfway through I realized it was going to be the real deal," he said.

He told the Coeur d'Alene Press that the bear weighed about 500 pounds. He said he braced for impact like a football player. The bear attempted to hug him and latched on to his arm.

"I was knocked over on my butt and at that point I was kicking and screaming trying to move her away."

His buddy sprayed at the bear with bear spray and inadvertently hit Legasa twice.

"I had blood in my eyes and bear spray in my eyes and I couldn't see a **** thing," he said. "We were putting snow and water in our eyes, trying to get relief."

The bear eventually relented.

The bear's response was normal for a sow with a cub encountering a human at close range, Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks officials said in a statement Monday. Legasa asked that the bear not be put down.

Legasa said the experience won't put him off hunting, a hobby since he was a teenager, but he said he will be more cautious in the future.

"I'm always going to have my hunting partner close, and reposition where I carry my bear spray so I can grab it with both hands," he said.

Legasa posted an update of his condition on Facebook.

"All in all I am in good shape. My arm is screwed up a little and sore and the vision is good, I will be fine," he said in his post.

I'm oh so glad to see he made it! I understand his reluctance to shoot the sow as she was in her mind defending her cub. It gives one mixed emotions at a time when split seconds can mean the difference between life and death.

I had a friend that died due to the attack of a garbage habituated male Black Bear down in Colorado back years ago and it still hurts.

So now there is a grizzly sow out there that knows she can physically throw a human around like a rag doll...and maybe getaway with eating one sooner or later.......
Should have killed it......whos next.....

Seems to be a lot of this going on. I pack a big bore wheel gun on my person at *all* times when I'm in bear country. In hunting season, it's my back up to my rifle.
And I carry it where I can get to it RIGHT NOW. Lol.

So now there is a grizzly sow out there that knows she can physically throw a human around like a rag doll...and maybe getaway with eating one sooner or later.......
Should have killed it......whos next.....

I hate to be the one to tell you but a Grizzly considers itself at the top of the food chain where ever it walks. There is a reason it has the name Ursus arctos horribilis, the horrible bear as it became known for its ill temper by pioneers. It is especially know for the protectiveness of its females for its young. A sow grizzly will fight a boar grizzly many times her size to protect her cubs to the death so a human is a mere inconvence.

James Gary Shelton's three books regarding bear attacks and how to survive them is the most comprehensive body of work ever written on this subject.

Last edited:
Yep...a human is a mean inconvenience....tell that to the family of the guide that was killed.....
Or anyone else whom lost family to that great ol' bear of yours....
If they come out of the park....KILL THEM....ALL....
SAME TO THE WOLVES....

Yep...a human is a mean inconvenience....tell that to the family of the guide that was killed.....
Or anyone else whom lost family to that great ol' bear of yours....
If they come out of the park....KILL THEM....ALL....
SAME TO THE WOLVES....

I have a close personal friend that a bear killed, so FRIEND don't presume to lecture me!!!! The difference between you and me is I have studied bear behavior. Their are times you have to kill them and times you do not! Do you KNOW THE DIFFERENCE?????

As to wolves I agree with you but bears are different. Some you have to kill but most you do not. You are speaking out of ignorance of bear behavior. Learn it and then speak to me about it and I will listen to you!

If it comes down to a human or a bears life then the bear dies but to kill all bears out of ignorance is just stupid and you know that!

James Gary Shelton's three books regarding bear attacks and how to survive them is the most comprehensive body of work ever written on this subject. READ THEM!

Last edited:
Seems to be a lot of this going on. I pack a big bore wheel gun on my person at *all* times when I'm in bear country. In hunting season, it's my back up to my rifle.
And I carry it where I can get to it RIGHT NOW. Lol.

I don't know what big bore you carry but I highly recommend Randy Garrett HammerHeads as when I was in Wyoming that was what the Montana wardens that handled problem grizzlies carried with great success.

Yeah...keep your lectures to yourself......
I don't need nor do I want any of your advice on self preservation....

Last edited:
Yeah...keep your lectures to yourself......
I don't need not do I want any of your advice on self preservation....

Well may be a Grizzly will knock some sense into you as you sure have none of your own.

I have had the pleasure of personally talking to Gary Shelton and he is the foremost expert on Grizzly attacks in my humble opinion that has ever existed in North America. He called me after my friend was killed by a bear and we also corresponded after that also. If your little pride is hurt and you refuse to learn from the very best you are more ignorant (lacking knowledge on a subject) than I first took you for.

Last edited:
I don't know what big bore you carry but I highly recommend Randy Garrett HammerHeads as when I was in Wyoming that was what the Montana wardens that handled problem grizzlies carried with great success.
I was packing a Ruger Redhawk 44 Mag 7.5 inch with 300 grain Grizzly Cartridge hardcast. I've since bought a Ruger Alaskan in 454 Casul and bought the 360 grain Buffalo Bore rounds for it. It doesn't kick as much as the hype I've read about.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.