X Bolt/Viper PST @ 300 WM problem HELP

RustyRick

We are having trouble with a Browning X-Bolt ejecting the empty case with a Viper PST scope on it. The turret seems to deflect the case back into the breech.

Has this been an issue for others?

Is their a solution?

I put this in the gunsmithing form and got lots of reads but no comments.

Is there a mark on the turret from the cases hitting it? I am not familiar with that model rifle, but would suggest higher rings if you are certain of the interference (you use the word "seems" in your post). Perhaps an experiment: loosen the rings and rotate the scope counterclockwise as far as you can, fire a couple rounds to see if the cases are definitely striking the turret, or just remove the scope for the same experiment. If the rifle ejects without the scope/turret present, switching to higher rings and adding/raising a cheekpiece for proper eye alignment may solve your problem. On the other hand, if it still fails to eject, you know to pursue a mechanical problem.

I'd be looking into higher rings in that case. If you don't have a cheek-piece already, I suggest the one from Defensive Edge. I have three of them now and like them very well. I strongly suggest using a drill press for the installation, though. I did mine free-hand, and it wasn't much fun.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.