Wyoming areas 20,21,22 and 113 help

maninthemaze

Is all the BLM land that is in areas 20,21,22 and 113 landlocked by private land. I'm not really looking for a world record antelope, just something with horns. With 100% draw odds it seems like a good choice for someone with no points. And I don't mind hiking into a place. If I need to park several miles from the nearest entry point and hike in, I'm OK with that. This would be my first attempt at an antelope and first real test for my new rifle, provided the gunsmith has it done in time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Here are two resources for you to look at for hunting access.

Follow the link: State Lands map and use the legend to tell if the land has adjacent public road access. Kind of have to orient the squares to the Antelope areas map in the Wyo G&F site, here and annotated BLM land.

and

Walk-in areas for Johnson county - Click on the map and scroll down when the info pops up. The maps show public access areas and where to park.

The simple answer is no. Some you can drive in and others it's walk only. Do your home work and you'll go home with a decent buck out of these areas.
22 would be a good choice, depending on when you can hunt.
22 and 113 open Oct 1. 20 and 21 open Oct 15.

Thanks a lot for the info. I have already printed off the stats from last year's draw. That's how I came to narrowing it down to these areas. Looks like they have pretty good draw odds and a lot of public land. I have already ordered the BLM maps of the areas as well. Those and the arc-gis maps from the local pva office have been a big help as well. All these maps and stats are fine, but nothing beats talking to someone who knows the area. Thanks again to all that have replied or PM'd me.

Does anybody know if the xmaps know the difference between BLM land and BLM land that is leased. I thought that I had a unit all picked out, unit 113. I decided to look at aerial photos on Google maps to find pull off spots on the side of the road. The BLM map that I ordered shows BLM land on both sides. Even the Johnson County PVA'S offices shows it as BLM land, but looking at aerial photos and street view, there is clearly some type of oil refinery there. There are buildings and gravel roads that lead to them with signs at the entrances, can't read on street view. I called the BLM office and they said they didn't keep up to date maps of areas that were leased. So, my only hope is the xmaps.

I even called a local game warden. He suggested a different area, as there was no way to get to the BLM land in area 113. Guess I'll focus my research on a different area if xmaps isn't up to date with leased ground.

Thanks again for any help.

Some of the roads have BLM signs and some don't. We use a lot of the roads that go to the wells. if you don't feel comfortable driving on them, park your truck as use it as a walkin area, The one's you need to pay attention to are the roads that turn off a public road, on to private. Stay off them.
Haven't had any issues yet.

Does anybody know if the xmaps know the difference between BLM land and BLM land that is leased. I thought that I had a unit all picked out, unit 113. I decided to look at aerial photos on Google maps to find pull off spots on the side of the road. The BLM map that I ordered shows BLM land on both sides. Even the Johnson County PVA'S offices shows it as BLM land, but looking at aerial photos and street view, there is clearly some type of oil refinery there. There are buildings and gravel roads that lead to them with signs at the entrances, can't read on street view. I called the BLM office and they said they didn't keep up to date maps of areas that were leased. So, my only hope is the xmaps.

I even called a local game warden. He suggested a different area, as there was no way to get to the BLM land in area 113. Guess I'll focus my research on a different area if xmaps isn't up to date with leased ground.

Thanks again for any help.

Get the chip and you'll be fine and follow what the other member told you and what I mentioned in my PMs to you. You got some lousy information from the GW if that's what he/she told you and the BLM people should have told you that land is open to hunting from the legally accessible roads whether they are leased or not! It doesn't matter if the BLM land is leased for oil or gas wells, cattle or sheep grazing, etc., as it's still all huntable land as long as the roads you use are legal to get to it and you stay away from the buildings, equipment, tanks, etc. Just use common sense and watch for any signs that might preclude access in certain small areas. Where I told you to start out down south has a lot of land that is miles from any oil/gas operations. I've hunted in 2b down in northern NM 2 of the last 5 years for mulies on all of the BLM and Carson NF down there and there are so many pads, tanks, and huge, noisy compression stations it's ridiculous and the truck traffic is like being out on I-80 at times, but it's also all open to hunting. A lot of it is walkin only though behind a lot of the locked gates that got to the various pads and 113 is very similar to it.

OK thanks again. I am just trying to all my ducks in a row and the leased land threw me for a loop. Here in KY, if you lease ground for anything. The person who leased the ground can pretty much do whatever they want. Which includes keeping people off of it. The only person who can access the property in the owner. I guess this is different because taxpayers own the property.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts