Wyoming 8 points

NRF

Good afternoon everyone!
I'm currently at 8 points going into next year, I just applied for PP. what areas do you recommend with 8 points for a rifle tag? I'm looking for Boone and Crockett antelope ( who isn't ) !! Should I keep buying points or hunt? Any advice is appreciated, I do not know Wyoming at all. I'm looking for great DYI ground but I'm not apposed of a guided hunt. I want to use the tag wisely.
Thank you all in advance for your expertise.
NF

There is plenty of public land in Wyoming, I see no reason to spend the money on an outfitter.

There are some pretty nifty bucks in Area 7, and lots of public land.

The trick is to be sure you are out there on openning day before they get spooked.

I'm not a good resource for you. I tend to take the first adult buck that offers me a good shot opportunity. The backstraps are superb! :) Honestly, I hunt them because it's a fun hunt, and the meat can be delicious. I only shot this one with my camera. He was on the wrong side of the road for me to hunt!
aw94SpNl.jpg

Buddy of mine took a B&C buck, over 16" in the same area where I have popped three 12.5" - 13" bucks. He was bowhunting, north of Gillette. Set up his blind where the big buck habitually crossed under a fence to get to water. I think he spent about three mornings in that blind before getting his shot.

I just don't know anything about Wyoming, I've just started research and my friend and I aren't sure if we are going yet. But research is what I do. I'm from Nebraska and hunt antelope here my average I see and harvest is 73 inches. I really want a shot at a booner. What are Wyoming's top units and max point units I hear conflicting things from all of the big time magazines so I'm asking real life experiences and knowledge.
Thank you

I just got back from hunting unit 96 in WY. I think my buddy and and I each had 8 points going into the draw in 2018. There are 5 NR tags and 50 total tags. The unit is about 160 square miles. He shot one the first day and I shot one the second. We both had time constraints. There were a bunch of animals in the unit with great access. We stayed in a hotel in Rock Springs with a restaurant and bar on the property. I would love to draw that unit again but it takes about 8 points. I believe if we had more time, a really good one will present itself.
Best of luck.

Attachments

• IMG_3162.JPG
    IMG_3162.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 289
The difference between a 78" antelope and an 80" is pretty minute when a hunter with limited experience is studying a Buck. I would be happy to point you in the right direction with an outfitter that has a great track record. Wyoming has so many options on good units that getting the right tag in a good horn growth year makes all the difference. Then being about to pick out the stud buck of the 300 you look over is the challenging part.

Please let me know if there are any great outfitters out there that don't cost an arm and a leg. From what I've seen most Wyoming outfitters hunt public ground, but the reason they could be more successful is because they are local and locate the top areas. I'll take any advice that anyone has as far as where to start, which units are best with 8 points, etc. I'd prefer DIY, I've have been antelope hunting in Nebraska for 10 years and have know how to judge fairly good although like you stated, it is tough to judge within a couple inches on an antelope.

Almost any area west and south of casper or areas around Rawlins in any direction are the units I have experience with Big antelope.

57 is where I'd be looking. One of the top area's in the state. Consistently produces B&C bucks. 61 is also a top producer.

Me and the Z's favorite hunt is our antelope hunt. They are so beautiful and at times really wear you out. We have hunted several units all over Wyoming and I know the Z's would agree, we have seen 2 or more B&C goats in all the units we have hunted. I really don't think you need a guide. Just a unit that has land to access, a great pair of comfortable boots, Clean binoculars, and a gun that shoots straight.

My friend, with 8 points you can hunt many of the great areas in WY, but if you are serious about making the most of that tag, and if you are looking for a buck over 80 inches, you really should consider an experienced guide. One that specializes in really big antelope by the way, If you are just interested in a really good, but not great animal, then DYI is probably ok. There are some good videos out on field judging. But with 8 points I would be looking for a real slammer and a good pro if you can afford it. I'm sure you already know guided antelope hunts are much less expensive than mule deer or elk hunts.

If have been hunting them since 1974, have killed around 25 antelope, and have taken very nice antelope bucks in WY, MT, NM and Co. including several near booners. Still looking for that 82 plus net score, but they are out there-- several friends have one on the wall. It usually means sorting thru a bunch of ok heads to find Mr. Right. I love the entire process. Big antelope are my thing.

Antelope are really hard to judge in the field, and I am pretty good at it, and have good glass and know how to use it. But I really value a second opinion when possible. A slightly different angle can look totally different. There are so many factors length, mass, length of cutters, etc, etc

If your goal is truly a B&C class animal, I suggest you find yourself a guide that can really tell the difference between 78 and 82 inches at 400 yards in varied field conditions. I would check references carefully, a lot say they can tell the difference.

Those 8 points are precious!

You can do that in 57 and 61 without a guide. I'd also look at 57-2 if you're someone who isn't on the higher side of the points game.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.