• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED WTS: FRANGIBLE AMMO .50 cal.,.30cal.

hjballistic

We make FRANGIBLE ammunition for .50 cal. .and .308,.300 win mag. Perfect for hunting.All Match grade and clean burning.Contact me for more info.Mike
smile.gif

Mike

Welcome to Long Range Hunting!

I don't know anything about frangible ammo having never fired the stuff.

What's the advantange for the long range hunter?

The Advantage:1) lighter weight projo in .30 cal. flatter trajectory and less time of flight.the best is that If you just Happen to miss,No ricochet.The projo hits the ground or anything it breaks up into tiny pieces.The .50 is even better.Imagine a projo that can dump ALL ENERGY (KE) and not pass thru the target.Guranteed one shot stop.Smaller game Foxes and the like will EXPLODE on impact. The hunting lands are getting smaller in some parts,The need for safe hunting is always there,If I can help do that well I am happy.I also make SUPER ACCURATE HUNTING AMMUNITION for those that do not reload.Thanks guys,Mike

Mike

What is the designed operational velocity for these projectiles? On the far end of a long range shot the velocity may be quite low, 1300 to 1700 fps.

It sounds like they're more on the near end of the hunting range than the far end. Generally you'll find that long range shooters prefer a high B.C. bullet, which often equates to a heavier projectile of the particular class being discussed.

As to killing potential on a long range shot when the remaining velocity and energy is low, it's due to penetration and not Kinetic Energy if I understand it correctly.

I can understand the desire to have a frangible .50 cal projectile. I personally don't have a .50 caliber rifle because of the concern over a projectile that's reluctant to stop for animals and small to medium sized trees. As to a .30 caliber frangible round, I believe I may be interested in them for short range varminting and testing on larger game and then based on that perhaps a long range test.

What's the offering in .30 caliber?

What's the BC of the various projectiles?

How are they effected by engraving forces (I shoot polygonal rifled barrels that are a little bore tight).

What material is used in these bullets, I may end up eating a little of it.

What's the cost and box quantity?

Mike,

I also am interested in the concept of frangible bullets especially as they could be adapted to varminting.

If you are interested I'd like to do a test for a magazine article in POINTBLANK magazine.

I don't have a .50 but I do have a couple of .30 cals, a .243 and access to a .224 long-range varminting rig.

I am also in the middle of testing a short-range coyote rifle using the 7.62x39 case with a .308 barrel. Your frangible bullets would be perfect for this rig because velocities can be a bit low when the range stretches much beyond 200 yds.

I have used the 110gr VMAX in this rifle with excellent results.

You can see some of my experiments at
http://www.nucleus.com/~cronhelm/index.html

or see previous copies of POINTBLANK magazine at
www.nfa.ca

Peter Cronhelm
Editor - Pointblank