Win 70 ring height

azhuntr

I have a new Win 70 270wsm that I will be putting a Swaro 4-12x50 scope on. I am getting the Leupold DD rings/bases. What height rings would be best? I will probably put scope covers on it as well...

I have a similar setup on my M70. I went with the higher profile rings , just for the clearance and ease of adjustment with the aluminum covers. However, some people prefer closer to the bore. I'm not big on having to trim things to make them fit.

The size and shape of your face and how YOU fit to your rifle and scope is what matters most. What's important is to be able to hold the rifle comfortably with your eye centered on the scope in the shooting positions you expect to use. There is no "right" answer to the best scope height. Keep in mind that the forces on the scope and rings increase with higher rings. That's not a reason to put them lower, just to make them strong enough to prevent slipping and damage.

I keep several sets of cheap import aluminum rings for testing how a given rifle fits me. I don't fire the rifle with the cheap rings. When I find what fits me right I then buy quality rings of that height. No one can tell you what's right for you unless you're present and having the rifle fitted. It's a lot like asking what size shirts, trousers, shoes, and hats you should buy.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.