Will 168gr SMK bullets stabilize?

Varmint Hunter

I have a 7STW with a 26' Hart 10" twist bbl. Rifle shoots .60" @ 200yds with 140gr bullets at full throttle.
When I spoke to the guys at Hornady about shooting their 162gr A-MAX bullet from my 10" twist barrel, they told me the bullet would NOT be stable past 100yds. I certainly don't need an A-Max to shoot less then 100yds!
Would the 168gr SMK bullet remain stable at loong rang if fired from a 10" twist barrel??
rolleyes.gif

VH

All my 7mms have been 9 twist and I know for sure they will shoot the 168 Gr bullets very well.

To make a comparison here, the 264 factory rifles I have had, have 9 and 10 twist barrels (for whatever reason).
They shoot bullets up to 129 Gr. very well. After that weight, the accuracy falls off terrible. An 8 twist is the normal twist for use of the 140 to 155 gr 264 bullets.

It works the same with your 7mm. Most 7mm LR rifles are 9 to 9.25 twist or should be to stabilize the heavier bullets. I believe Hornady is correct.

Darryl

[ 03-03-2002: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

Darryl,
I was confident in the opinion about the A-MAX from the Good Ol' Boys @ Hornady, but was just curious if the 168 SMK might have been short enough to stabilize even if the A-MAX was not.
Was hoping someone else here might have experimented with the .284, 10" twist.
From your response, I gather that you feel that the SMK would not work.
Thanks......VH

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.