Why I Crimp

By removing a small amount of the part of the crimp die that contacts the shell holder, you can effectively tweak how far down the case neck the crimp occurs. From the factory, I find many of the LFC dies crimp right on the very edge of a case that's trimmed to minimum spec. I prefer them to "get ahold" of a bit more of the case neck.View attachment 605754
Thank you Quigley 257 great information here. I may have to get this done when I get my FCD. Program going

Thank you Quigley 257 great information here. I may have to get this done when I get my FCD. Program going
I gave up using the crimp in the rifle loading dies a long time ago. I found it to be too inconsistent. Went without crimping for many years, which when shooting bolt action rifles is not a big issue. ButterBean turned me on to Lee Factory Crimp dies a few years ago and I found that by doing a light crimp it evened the breakoout force, if you care to call it that as well as delayed the bullet from jumping by just a split second which increased the pressure and muzzle velocity a very slight amount, but resulted in more accurate ammo since all the bullets left the case at approximately the same pressure resulting in an increase in accuracy. 1 or 2 10ths of an inch smaller MOA means a lot to a fussbudget like me.

I gave up using the crimp in the rifle loading dies a long time ago. I found it to be too inconsistent. Went without crimping for many years, which when shooting bolt action rifles is not a big issue. ButterBean turned me on to Lee Factory Crimp dies a few years ago and I found that by doing a light crimp it evened the breakoout force, if you care to call it that as well as delayed the bullet from jumping by just a split second which increased the pressure and muzzle velocity a very slight amount, but resulted in more accurate ammo since all the bullets left the case at approximately the same pressure resulting in an increase in accuracy. 1 or 2 10ths of an inch smaller MOA means a lot to a fussbudget like me.
I thank you for your input. I'm pretty OCD about my procedures as well and keep getting worse!! Shoot straight! Tribb