Why are some cases tight and others loose?

bitbythebug

I have many rifles but my 28 Nosler has given me the most grief in reloading. I resize and prime every case. I then trim them to precise length. I then load a bullet and some cases are loose and some are tight to very tight chambering. I turned all the necks and that doesn't help. What can possibly be the matter. I am not a competition shooter and don't have competition dies but have shot and reloaded for over 50 years. What am I missing. The tight cases seem to have pressure issues which cause fluctuations in velocities, which make it hard to be consistently accurate. Need some positive help.

I know that this is very unlikely, but……have you mik'd a few bullets to make certain they are not the problem.

Again, highly unlikely……but wierd stuff does happen! memtb

This problem is caused by a Classic issue amongst cases based on the 404 Jeffrey.
The shoulder resists being sized by 2 things, cases becoming hard take more effort and springback is insufficient, also, the web resists sizing and this also requires more effort. So, essentially some cases size ok due to their softer condition and others don't.
Annealing should cure this, but I do not recommend trying to size more, because the softer brass will be too small.
Steep shoulder angles also resist sizing…

Cheers.

I know that this is very unlikely, but……have you mik'd a few bullets to make certain they are not the problem.

Again, highly unlikely……but wierd stuff does happen! memtb
I have had this happen once. Im lucky to have caught it before firing...

This problem is caused by a Classic issue amongst cases based on the 404 Jeffrey.
The shoulder resists being sized by 2 things, cases becoming hard take more effort and springback is insufficient, also, the web resists sizing and this also requires more effort. So, essentially some cases size ok due to their softer condition and others don't.
Annealing should cure this, but I do not recommend trying to size more, because the softer brass will be too small.
Steep shoulder angles also resist sizing…

Cheers.
Makes sense. I will try and anneal those cases and report back. Thanks