Who's HBN do you use?

therifleman556

I'd like to get into coating my bullets. Do you folks already doing it recommend the David Tubb or bulletcoatings.com kits? Or did you source everything individually? Sounds like a kit and an ounce of powder should coat enough bullets to last me a darn good while.

Another good question is do those of you doing it feel like it's worthwhile to casual shooters & hunters, or more work for little gain? I'm primarily looking to reduce fouling & corrosion; I may shoot a dozen rounds one day and then a couple more a week later. Or I might go two months without getting trigger time.

I've tried both and like Tubb's better. Bulletcoatings is cheaper. Actual material seems a little different too. The big deal with hbn is cold bore accuracy, and consistent velocities. You will have to start over with your load. There are other advantages claimed but hard to prove. Is it worth it? If you want to hunt animals far, and only the first shot matters, it can be an advantage. Only you can decide after playing with it, in your rifle. I haven't shot an uncoated bullet in any of my rifles in years.

I had been using stainless pins but when checking the hollow point to make sure they were open post tumbling I found that pins had lodged in about half the hollow points....funny because I couldn't get a pin to go in one when I tried. Needless to say I don't use pins anymore. But I do stress that you should clear the hollow points before you hunt with them as the cavity can get clogged with HBN and/or the tip sealed shut. I use a jewelers pin vice similar to this one;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SA-20x-Fin...=item364248b3d8:g:1mwAAOSw12pbmHLZ:rk:11:pf:0

i have used hbn for years, with ss balls.
i am going to buy a tubb kit and try it in my 338 edge.
do not forget to treat your bbl

Placed my order for the 1 ounce ebay jar. I've already got a tumbler & can always find media of needed.

What is recommended for pre cleaning bullets? I've read soapy water works, while others recommend acetone or another solvent.

Placed my order for the 1 ounce ebay jar. I've already got a tumbler & can always find media of needed.

What is recommended for pre cleaning bullets? I've read soapy water works, while others recommend acetone or another solvent.
After you use either of those, tumble or vibrate them in clean, untreated corncob media for 30min.. Then use rubber gloves to transfer. Do not tough them with your fingers after cleaning. Another trick I learned on this site: I was having trouble getting it to stick in cold weather. If it is below about 90 deg, after cleaning, heat them in a 150 deg oven a few minutes or cheat and warm them with a heat gun. They will coat more evenly and quickly. I don't use any media. I use a smaller bottle about half full in the empty bowl of a vibratory tumbler. If you buy Tubb's kit it has excellent instructions using this method (less the heat trick).

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.