Whos From Australia Victoria? and do LR sambar hunting

schwabdog

id be interesting to see how many people there is on here that are from vic.
and a little about your h0w you hunt. cal. bullet. scope. e.g.

I just got my first LR sambar Rig a tikka T3 Lite 7mm rem mag with a NF F1 scope on a MCS T4 stock, I've had grate success with the lites getting some nice 15cm groups at 550yds with a 270 win..

I am from Vic. Have TRG 42 to use for Camel cull this year in NT. When back home will be on the Deer.
Broke stock on 375 H&H Mag. so acquired a TRG 42 in 300 Win Mag, Leupold 3 - 19 VRX 6. Will be interesting carrying it on 4 Wheeler.

Just saw this thread!
I spend a lot of time in NE Vic, have numerous properties to hunt on, mostly dairy farms with large plots of land. The ranges I hunt from are between 500m to 800m in very sreep country, which sometimes causes me to pass on certain animals due to the terrain they're in.
I have 2 rifles I use for this, neither are what a traditional long range outfit would intail, even though I do have a long range rifle built around a Rem Sendero in 300WinMag, It's just too heavy to carry in this terrain. I use a Kimber 8400 in 300WinMag with a 26" barrel, Leupy 3.5-10x40 VX-III, it's quite capable to 1000m, although getting a steady rest in that type of terrain isn't that easy. My other rifle is a Win Model 70 S/S with 26" barrel in 338WinMag, same scope as above, it's capable to 800m, but I don't shoot past 600m with this outfit.

Cheers.

Yep, West of Horsham. Dont shoot long range just pop fox and cats.
Browning X Bolt 243 with VX-L 6.5-20 x56 & Browning T Bolt HMR17 with VX-L 3.5-10 x50. Love the 17 on cats and real good on fox to about 100 - 120 m.
Cheers Butch.

hi all im from sale in vic passionate sambar hound hunter but hey have to do something during the off season. long range sambar is something iv thought about for years but budget constraints for me are finally easing so its starting to get possible. I use a Abolt 300wsm for all my sambar work at the minute just been getting loads developed with 190vld they shoot about 3/4" at 100yds but im still holding under 1moa out to 800yds so for a sporter weight rifle im pretty happy.
I think in the near future there will be a stiller in the cupboard I just have to decide what calibre and find all the parts I need.
Visability seems to be a big problem down here cause the bush is thick its hard to get spots that I can get clear shots on sambar at 500+ just means I have to drive a bit further I guess.

Hi,
'm from Adelaide, South Australia. I do hunt long range often, but not much sambar.

I like to long range most of my targets whether it is fox, deer, roo, pig or goat. I just enjoy the challenge.

It would be good to 'talk' to guys from Aus who are also interested in long range hunting. Hope you see my reply.

Rods

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.