Which phone app?

pawater

What is the best GPS app to show trails, ect. Mainly for Colorado and Wyoming.
I was looking at doing OnX as I have the chips for my GPS, but wanted to see if there is something better.

Have used Topo Map app for several years. Looking forward to trying OnX myself. I'm familiar enough with my AO that I doubt it will give me any edge.

Used Gaia gps for backcountry hiking, camping, and off-road excursions. Nice options of downloading for out of service area usage. There are a bunch of map layers so you have to play around to see what you like or files are huge for downloading. So far it is my favorite.

Used Gaia gps for back country hiking, camping, and off-road excursions. Nice options of downloading for out of service area usage. There are a bunch of map layers so you have to play around to see what you like or files are huge for downloading. So far it is my favorite.

I agree, Gaia is a great app for topo maps on the Iphone. For ~30$ a year, you get a TON of layers and functionality for the whole world, not just one state. If you are running an android, Back Country Navigator is almost it's twin. On-X definitely has the advantage though if you are dealing with tight access.

Another good one to check on is Avenza. It is a Geo-PDF reader that acts like a GPS. Depending on where you hunt, different land managers (USFS, BLM etc) offer free downloadable maps. The Avenza store also offers a WIDE array of maps for purchase. The downside to Avensa, is it is more like having a digital file cabinet for a bunch of individual paper maps, they aren't seemed together like in OnX or Gaia. Any more there are so many great tools, but none of them are the end of the line, I use them all!

Last edited:
Caltopo on a computer has got to be the most extensive free map tool I know of. It's not as useful hunting as ONX but it for actual navigating in the woodworks it's great. You can print and pre plan routes on there. Best part is I can print it with grids that match mgrs. so I can stick with what I know. Print off a map and combine them with a gps and your gold

I have used Backcountry Navigator for about 8 or more years now. I live in an area with spotty cell service. So I would download the maps to my phone at home or while in a cell coverage area, then use them while offline in the woods. Really easy system.

They are currently building a new app/computer program that will work together. For many years it was just a phone app. The new system should be awesome.

One to look at is Viewranger. I've used it for 7+ years, and initially paid like 15$ to get the upgraded maps, but there are tons of free maps as well. I download the area I'm going to hunt when I have cell / Wifi and store it in the phone. The program is super easy to set waypoints (point of interest). It tracks my path and plots it on the map and also keeps track of my distance traveled, elevation gain / loss, etc. I save all my tracks in the app and tons of waypoints. Phone lasts a long time on the app if in airplane mode and only using GPS. It does not show Property ownership like OnX.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.