Which barrel company for Remington 700 rebarrel (sporter)?

Bigeclipse

I am planning on having my Remington 700 rebarreled after this hunting season. It is a Remington 700 mountain SS in 3006 which has a pencil thin barrel which is even skinnier than a sporter barrel and shoots 1.25-1.5inch groups which is not really that good. It has been bedded in the stock and has a Timney trigger in it set to about 2.5lbs. It does work for my needs of being a big timber woods gun where 100 yard shots are the norm but there are chances for an occasional 250-300 yard shot. My plan is to rebarrel it with a sporter weight barrel as I want to keep the gun at a decently light weight and I want to re-use the bell and Carlson stock it came in with out having to inlet it too much for the thicker barrel. Since I'm changing barrels I may consider changing calibers as well so I'm open to thoughts on that as well. So what say you, which barrel manufacturers should I look into and which calibers? I don't mind keeping it in 3006 either. My end hope is a sub 1 MOA rifle. I know the rifle is perfectly fine for a deer hunting rifle out to 300 yards but it just bugs me that I cant get it sub MOA.

Larger contour in any of the premium barrel manufactures such as Bartlein, Krieger or Brux. Any of these will give you what you are looking for. Check out Bugholes.com to see what is available.

Any of the above listed barrel manufacturers, plus many others will be just fine. If you go Bartlein no bigger than a 2b, anyone else a #3 .

I highly Recommend a Benchmark Barrel, I've used a cpl dozen of them mostly #1 contour which is similar to your barrel now, you could use a#1 or #2 for you application,
The other one would be a Bartlein barrel.
WF

Bartlein, Krieger, Shilen have all done well for me when installed by my smith. I've also done a couple Criterion remage barrels and am VERY impressed and glad I tried them. I'll buy more of those in the future, especially if my smith ever decides to stop smithing.

Bartlein, Krieger, Shilen have all done well for me when installed by my smith. I've also done a couple Criterion remage barrels and am VERY impressed and glad I tried them. I'll buy more of those in the future, especially if my smith ever decides to stop smithing.
I thought to do a remage you had to key into your action so the recoil lug would line up properly which I do not have an interest of doing. That being said, I am happy with my savage criterion barrel on my savage rifle.

I thought to do a remage you had to key into your action so the recoil lug would line up properly which I do not have an interest of doing. That being said, I am happy with my savage criterion barrel on my savage rifle.
The only thing I did to my actions was have my smith true them when I bought them. For lining up the lug, they make adapters for action wrenches that do that so you don't have to pin the lug to the receiver. I went with the Brownell's action wrench, but Northland Shooters Supply also has an action wrench designed to allow for alignment of the recoil lug without modification to the action.

I have a Model Seven that wouldn't shoot very well until I added a pressure point to the barrel. I just used a piece of rubber from an old recoil pad and glued it to the stock near the forend tip. Now she shoots around 3/4 MOA. It may be worth a try with your pencil barrel, but there is something satisfying about a match grade barrel.

I like Pac-Nor for rebarrel jobs since they have a reputation for quality gunsmithing done in house. And their prices are very reasonable. If you already have a gunsmith to use then the recommendations already made will serve you well.

For which chambering to choose I think the '06 is great for all-around use. If its mostly a deer gun I'd consider going with a .270, .280, or .280 AI.

Rock Creek barrels have always treated me really well. Seem to be a little faster than "factory" so I can run a shorter barrel and still keep velocity up. Zero copper fouling and seems to shoot the same hot/cold/wet/dirty/clean. If you're planning on sub 300 yard shots, you can go pretty short with a barrel. Short = stiff and stiff = less whip. My stubby barreled guns always seem to be super easy to load for.

You can't go wrong with any of the top ten. The biggest difference would be in wait time.

If I were building a custom without a mind to the budget I would certainly go with Schneider. Benchmark would probably be my second pick but there are at least six or eight that would do business with anytime.

Ain't nuttin relly wrong with 1.5-2.5 inch groups for a huntin riffle. A new barrel will run you $300+ and installation by a smith bout $200, Have a gunsmith look it over and give you an opinion before you spend many $$$.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.