Where to go Prairie Dog Hunting

The money I spent on the guided trip was well worth it for me.

I tried to go out by myself 3 years ago and ended up spending half of my day digging myself out of creek crossings. The other half was spent trying to find a land owner that wasn't worried about me shooting his cows.

Then when I got to the prairie dog towns that I could find, they seemed really spooky (as I drove up they all ran to there holes, even the ones that were 300 yards away). Then I would take one shot and they would all disappear into their holes.

So, I hired a guide and he took me to towns where we drove to within 50 yards of them and they were still out feeding. I'd shoot one and his buddy would come over to him and stand there to try and see what happened. It was a much more enjoyable experience.

We hunt a lot on the Indian reservations in the Dakotas with great success. Most land owners charge $50 a day. Contact their government offices. We normally experience shooting out to 150 or so yards for about 15 min. The rest of the day the shooting ranges from 150 to how ever far out you want to shoot. By the way he wasn't there just looking at his buddy trying to figure out what hsppened - they are canibals - he was more than likely trying to figure out if he was going to eat him now or later.
Shoot far and straight

Many ranchers will beg you to shoot them for free!

I've read that many time, but I never seem to be lucky enough to find the rancher begging for someone to come out to his property, or the farmer who hates deer, or any of the "free" trips.

If you know of ranchers begging for people to come out and shoot prarie dogs let me know who they are. I'd love to give it a whirl!

I used Eric at Klmers this year. I could have scouted them out myself if that's how I wanted to spend my time. I prefered to pay him to take me and my son and wife where they were and he did. We shot till our eyes crossed and necks hurt. It was money well spent and Eric did a great job taking care of us. I will do it again.

Western South Dakota has a lot of free hunting. Both state and rez land that are great LRH places for both Yotes and P-dogs. You can find guides here too but there is still plenty of free hunting spots. If you don't know anyone in the area you want to hunt, get a guide for a day and then go out on your own after that.

The winter has been cold and lots of snow out here. The deer are eating hay bales. I've seen the deer get up on top of them and sleep during the day. The ranchers are getting pretty sick of all the deer and chances of getting permission out here to hunt yotes, doggies or deer are better now than ever. If you have to cough up $50.00 to get permission to do something that you'll never forget, it might be well worth it.

Tom

Know of any places closer to Southern California?

Went to Silgman AZ last year- was OK, not great - cloudy days kept em' in most of the time. Shots were from 50-100 yards plus - not many over 400 yards (places).

This year we're going ground Squirrel hunting - Northern California up by Cederville late April - place is run by Debra & Will Cockrell - 530-279-2209. They charge $100-110 a day - includes lodging (bring your own grub & cook for yourselves). Sounded good to us.

I'll let you know how it works out.
goin' with 3 others - 12 hour drive one way from San Clemente, CA.

Phil

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.