What's your preferred scope mount base?

bookworm

What's your preferred scope base for long range? Would you recommend 1 piece Picatinny rail, standard dovetail, double dovetail, others?

Last edited:
Seekins is my first choice. Then Warne as I have had great customer service from them and a good product as well. I have a Badger Ord base on my primary rifle though and it is rock solid.

Seekins is my first choice over Badger due to prices.
Warne makes good stuff too.

lately I have been moving all my guns over to one piece rails. it makes swaping scopes in particular a high power load development scope a snap. but my favorite mounting setup is when the action has the rail machined into the action itself. surgeon and BAT actions come to mind.

I'm in the process of changing all my benchrest and long range guns over to the 20 MOA Nightforce picatinny one piece bases. The last one I changed was a 22-250 in a Rem. 700 VSSF. With the Leupold QD bases and rings that was on it previously, I only had 2 MOA of right windage. The rings and bases were obviously made off center. The scope is a 24X Leupold Target Scope. With the NF base and weaver style rings I have about 25 MOA left and right windage as well as 20MOA of extra elevation. I've had equally good results with the other three guns I've converted so far. I only wish that NF or Badger made steel 1 inch rings as well as the 30mm. Nightforce is well worth price paid.

one thing I would also add is I don't prefer a true picitinny rail, but rather the one with full milled cross slots. an example would be the EGW HD bases. on a weaver or true picitinny just small ends of the raised edges are engaging the cross slots on the bottom of the ring. with a full milled you get engagement across the front edge of the scope base.

One piece rail only. I like the added strength they give to the receiver and the whole mounting platform. I also like the fact they transfer less stress to the scope tube under recoil. Near Mfg for the wby's for sure and for the 700 Rem I will go Near or Nightforce. I have paid the dues and learned why some rails cost more than others. No more cheapies for me, this is too important of an area. Not the place to cut corners.

Jeff

I was moving to all Pic rails but due to my Sako's and a McWhorter purchase I mostly have Talley's now. The 243 JK Cloward 700 has a Weaver 2 pc with Warnes. I like the talley one piece set up too. The only single dovetails that I have left are the 270 BAR and my son's 308 Savage.

The picatinny rails do make it easier to move scopes. On the ADL and other blind Mag setups they tend to annoy a little more while loading the magazine.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.