What do ya'll think?

DirtySouth85

Well, I'm from the SE part of the nation. I deer/hog hunt exclusively with a few dove shoots here and there when I get a chance. But that's enough about me.

My Regular hunting rifle is a Remington 700 .270. I love the rifle. I have killed many hogs and whitetail with it with my farthest shot being 360 yards on a whitetail in Western Oklahoma. I know that's not far for ya'll, but for us SouthEasterners we are lucky to see that far if it isn't on a powerline. I originally got on this site looking for a way to make my rifle more accurate again.... Yes again.

For the last 4 years in a row, I have shot 1/2" 3 shot groups consistantly anytime I got behind the rifle on a bench. The rifle is completely stock, and I shoot Remington Core Lokt 130 grain bullets. That may sound unbelieveable but I did it for multiple years in a row. Now, I can't get the gun to shoot like it used too. I can get MOA groups but the bullets never touch anymore and I'm just plain unsatisfied with my rifle. My first plan is to bed the rifle, and free float it at the same time. Then shoot it and see what she does. It is a synthetic stock, I'm not sure if that's good or bad? But I want some advice on how get my rifle back to shooting right.

This is my first post so go easy on me. Jeff

Oh yeah, and I have a Burris 4x16-44 Ballistic Plex Scope.

Last edited:
Jeff,
Have you used any of the bore cleaner/copper removers in the barrel? How have you been cleaning your barrel? Sounds like copper/carbon build-up inside your barrel. JohnnyK.

Hi Jeff,
Sounds like you shoot factory loads if you are shooting the corelokt bullets. Did you buy some new boxes that don't shoot as good as the old or are they the same box?
If your rifle shot 1/2 inch groups and now doesn't I would bet it just needs to be cleaned really well. I wouldn't bed it or anything until you get some really good copper solvent and some carbon solvent. Bore tech makes some good products.
I would bet once you get your barrel really clean it willstart to shoot better.
After you clean it you will need to shoot a few rounds to get the barrel settled down and shooting good again.
We just did this process to my Dads rifle and it went from a 2" spray and pray to a little under an inch with the same loads.
Keep us posted with your findings.

Jeff,
Have you used any of the bore cleaner/copper removers in the barrel? How have you been cleaning your barrel? Sounds like copper/carbon build-up inside your barrel. JohnnyK.

I've used regular gun solvents, and copper brushes. Since it started shooting bad, I have cleaned it quite a few times. But I don't know that it was specific copper remover? But I will check and give it a try.

I would like to try to build a long range shooter/hunter out of the gun. But am very new to the idea of building the rifle but from what I understand I have a good platform to start with.

Hi Jeff,
Sounds like you shoot factory loads if you are shooting the corelokt bullets. Did you buy some new boxes that don't shoot as good as the old or are they the same box?
If your rifle shot 1/2 inch groups and now doesn't I would bet it just needs to be cleaned really well. I wouldn't bed it or anything until you get some really good copper solvent and some carbon solvent. Bore tech makes some good products.
I would bet once you get your barrel really clean it willstart to shoot better.
After you clean it you will need to shoot a few rounds to get the barrel settled down and shooting good again.
We just did this process to my Dads rifle and it went from a 2" spray and pray to a little under an inch with the same loads.
Keep us posted with your findings.

It's hard to tell whether they were the same box or not. I'm an organized chaos kind've guy so, I keep about 4 boxes with me most of the time but I use the first one I grab because they are all the same. But I have shot a couple boxes trying to get it to shoot right.

I will make sure I find some good cleaner, and try it afterwards. I know about giving it 3 fouling rounds after cleaning, but I live in the city (for now) and can't shoot when I want, but I will def. let you know. Oh, and thanks for the help!!!

Definitely sounds like either a fouling problem or an ammo problem. I know for quite some time I stuck to just nitro solvent for cleaning and started losing my groups. after a little research I picked up a bottle of birchwood Casey bore scrubber. It's a combo cleaning solution for copper solvent and powder residue. After a full nitro solvent cleaning I ran the brush through three times with bore scrubber and my first patch came out completely green with copper residue. It was a shock because this whole time I thought my barrel was clean when I was finished with it. Turns out I was only doing half the job.

Another thing to look at is after a really thorough cleaning remove your bolt, get a decent light and see how well you can see the rifling depth at the chamber side. Compare that to the muzzle side. If you find shallow rifling you may just have a barrel starting to show wear. This will definitely affect group size.

And yes the remmy 700 is definitely a solid action to start with. Personally I am a savage guy but the remingtons shoot well and have TONNES of accessories/barrels/triggers etc. Not to mention they are so popular every gunsmith out there has lots of experience with them.

Hope this helps

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts