what call and when for spring turkey

Tikkamike

I have a spring turkey tag and I am going to go out saterday and see if I can find one. I will be using my 22-250 so calling it in close isnt a concern. I have a foxpro with a few sounds on it. has Tom gobble, lost hen and I think just hen sounds, so just wondering do I want to gobble and try to locate them? or just sit down somewhere and start playing lost hen? any help will be appreciated

I would check the regulations and see if you can use an electronic call, if you can I would use the regular turkey sounds after you have located your bird.

You need four calls to really be successful at calling and locating turkeys.

A box yelper is essential for locating at distance. A good slate is a must too as they are extremely versatile to getting them closer. For dark/dusk have an owl and a crow call to get them gobbling in the tree.

I've gotten a big tom every year since 1995 and here is the best advice I can give you: Put them to bed and wake them up. Find the flock in the evening, follow them until they roost so you know what tree they are in. Be back to the tree at first light and set up around 50 yards away. Call every few minutes and the first they do will be to come to you.

During the heat of the day they rarely gobble but you can get a bored tom to wander in. It's boring and you don't know of it's working, but it does work.

Again not sure where you are but check your regs, I know electronic calls aren't legal for turkey where I hunt. If you don't know where some birds are try a few gobbles while moving quietly, once something gobbles back set up and go to more hen sounds. Use low volume settings, turkeys hearing is way more sensitive than ours and you can have birds hang up a long way out if your calls are too loud.

If you have never used a mouth call, then I would opt for a slate. Soft purrs and yelps in the morning when they are still in the trees and a bit louder later in the day. Remember, too much calling is not a good thing.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.