What bipod for hunting???

I realize this is an old thread but came across it searching for tall bipod options. Has anyone used both the MDT CKYE triple pull and the Hatch 36"? Is there anything about the CKYE triple pull that makes it worth more than double the Hatch? Are there any other tall options beside those 2? Shot my first NRL hunter match this weekend and was at a huge disadvantage with my current bipod. I have a tripod but hard to get stable enough on it for the long shots.
CKYE pod is by far the most adjustable, and versatile bipod on the market. I've never seen a Hatch in person, looks like it'd be decent but probably not as easy to adjust as the Ckye Pod

I have no experience with the Ckye but I've used the Hatch 27" for the last couple years. If you take it out and practice with it you can set it up for a shot really fast. It weighs about 19oz so it's not super light, if I'm walking and stalking I have it attached to my belt, I don't like carrying the extra weight at the end of my rifle and it only takes me seconds to attach it to the gun if I need it (see post #65). I added a Seekins picatinny rail that I use as an attachment point for the bipod on my .308 and just added a Wiser Precision picatinny rail to the front of my CZ 457 American that fit perfectly between the checkering and end of the walnut stock fore end. I use the Hatch on this rifle to get me above the tall grass in a couple places where I hunt ground squirrels. I've had no problems with the Hatch so far and I'd buy it again.

IMG_9320.jpeg

Last edited:
I realize this is an old thread but came across it searching for tall bipod options. Has anyone used both the MDT CKYE triple pull and the Hatch 36"? Is there anything about the CKYE triple pull that makes it worth more than double the Hatch? Are there any other tall options beside those 2? Shot my first NRL hunter match this weekend and was at a huge disadvantage with my current bipod. I have a tripod but hard to get stable enough on it for the long shots.
A good tripod with appropriate acceories will be much more stable than a tall bipod. If you are considering the MDT bipod, spend a little more for a good tripod with a good ball head and rail clamp. A full length rail forearm is best, but if NRL has restrictions put a piece at the front of your forearm and if possible one further back by the magazine. Use a sling to add stability and stable adjustments by wrapping it around the tripod leg as shown below. Done correctly this is super stable and rapidly adjustable.
20210606_162128.jpg
20210626_100858.jpg

A good tripod with appropriate acceories will be much more stable than a tall bipod. If you are considering the MDT bipod, spend a little more for a good tripod with a good ball head and rail clamp. A full length rail forearm is best, but if NRL has restrictions put a piece at the front of your forearm and if possible one further back by the magazine. Use a sling to add stability and stable adjustments by wrapping it around the tripod leg as shown below. Done correctly this is super stable and rapidly adjustable.
I'll have to give the sling a try, that looks like it could steady it up quite a bit. I have a tripod with ball head and full arca rail on my stock, I just can't get steady enough with that alone for the 500+ yard shots. In those scenarios what I saw the best shooters doing was use a tall bipod and the tripod as rear support.

I'll have to give the sling a try, that looks like it could steady it up quite a bit. I have a tripod with ball head and full arca rail on my stock, I just can't get steady enough with that alone for the 500+ yard shots. In those scenarios what I saw the best shooters doing was use a tall bipod and the tripod as rear support.
Maybe just need to practice more. should be able to get plenty steady. Or maybe the tripod is to flimsy.

I guarantee you will be impressed. Here's another photo showing the sling wrapped around the leg. The sling is attached to the forward swivel, brought down to the rear and under the tripod leg, the wrapped around 2 to 3 times. You do this on the left leg if you are a right handed shooter. You grip the wrap with your left hand, and twist to raise and lower the muzzle while pushing forward on the leg, and pulling the butt into your shoulder at the same time. My longrange instructor showed this position to me, then had me shoot a steel silhouette at 1000 yards. I got a first round hit! I use this setup a lot.
20210606_162140.jpg
20210606_162815.jpg

Hope this helps, if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

All my rifles have a Harris . I've tried several other brands and always get rid of them and go back to a Harris BR model. While hunting I always carry a set of Luckett Sticks ( Mike is local to me and actually built my first custom rifle). If I know I'm going to be overlooking / glassing a big wheat field or down in a canyon for a long period I'll throw in my two vets tripod with ball head and area 419 arca lock ( this thing is rock solid).

I did a search and looks like all the posts on this are several years old.

So what bipod do you recommend for hunting? Also what hight do you find most useful?

Please don't say just use your pack.
Based on my experience, the most versatile bipod is Gunwerks new Elevate 2. It is a feature rich addition to my hunting gear.