What barrel vise & action wrench(es) do you use?

Mike D Texas

I'm wanting to buy a barrel vise and action wrench(es) to be able to do more of my own work.

I've been looking at the Short Action Customs modular barrel vise kit and their modular wrench but like all their stuff it's pricey. The wrench is a great concept if you have several styles of actions though (which I do). I have the following actions:

1. Factory Remington 700
  2. Stiller TAC300
  3. Kelbly's Atlas Tactical
  4. Borden Bigfoot
  5. Pierce Engineering SkeleTi
All of them are 700 pattern actions but there must be slight differences because SAC says I need (3) different heads for their wrench to work with all of the above.

What do you use for multiple actions?

I have been using one I made for 20 years but I just recently bought the Speartoolandmachine barrel vice. Very well made and a well thought out design. Very well packed, The upper bushing is held in with a machine screw so you don't have to fight that. Here are some pics of when I un-boxed it. I don't think you can beat it for $130.00 and each additional bushing is $30.00 for the straight ones and $38.00 for the tapered ones and they should last you a lifetime.

I was told about this vice from another LRH member, I looked into it and for the money I don't think you can beat it. They also make a very nice Remington 700 Action Wrench, They make make others too, Very reasonably priced. I literally just got this a few days ago and haven't used it yet, But I just finished chambering a barrel yesterday and will be using it today.

Attachments

• DSCN4208.JPG
    DSCN4208.JPG
    686.2 KB · Views: 148
  • DSCN4209.JPG
    DSCN4209.JPG
    840.7 KB · Views: 150
  • DSCN4207.JPG
    DSCN4207.JPG
    630.1 KB · Views: 151
  • DSCN4206.JPG
    DSCN4206.JPG
    809.4 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:

I forgot to add, It ships by default with a 1.200 bushing.

Here is their action wrench:

I have been using one I made for 20 years but I just recently bought the Spear Tools barrel vice. Very well made and a well though out design. Very well packed, The upper bushing is held in with a machine screw so you don't have to fight that. Here are some pics of when I un-boxed it. I don't think you can beat it for $130.00 and each additional bushing is $30.00 for the straight ones and $38.00 for the tapered ones and they should last you a lifetime.

I was told about this vice from another LRH member, I looked into it and for the money I don't think you can beat it. They also make avery nice Remington 700 Action Wrench, They make make others too, Very reasonably priced. I literally just got this a few days ago and haven't used it yet, But I just finished chambering a barrel yesterday and will be using it today.
I like the looks of that one and it's a lot cheaper than the SAC one. I sent him a message through his eBay page about inserts. Thank you.

I think one of the good features of this design is the square bushings, There is no chance of the bushing spinning in the vise, Early on in my Home built barrel vise I had a problem with the bushings spinning, I stippled the inside of the barrel vise on both sides to stop the bushings from spinning, After that I didn't have any issues, But this Spear vise has a lot more surface area for holding the barrel.

I think one of the good features of this design is the square bushings, There is no chance of the bushing spinning in the vise, Early on in my Home built barrel vise I had a problem with the bushings spinning, I stippled the inside of the barrel vise on both sides to stop the bushings from spinning, After that I didn't have any issues, But this Spear vise has a lot more surface area for holding the barrel.
Good to know.

Do you use any kind of anti marring material when breaking barrels loose?

Also isn't it recommended to use an internal wrench to install the receivers?

SAC bravo vise. It's freaking nice, And simple. Bighorn wrench seems to work on rem 700 and bighorns of course. I think it works on savage stuff too.. anything else I use a wheeler wrench and if the action has a flat side I just turn the one piece of the wheeler around so it's flat on one side round on the other. Works really good.

I forgot to add, It ships by default with a 1.200 bushing.

Here is their action wrench:

I like being able to take the handle off. Especially if I'm using a small vise.

I bought the Viper Barrel Vice. Have been happy with it. Simple design and very well made.
I do wrap the barrel. Painters tape or even cardboard work well. If you are changing barrels regularly, you only torque to 80 to 100 lbs.

Not to high jack the thread. But what torque wrench is best?

I bought the Viper Barrel Vice. Have been happy with it. Simple design and very well made.
I do wrap the barrel. Painters tape or even cardboard work well. If you are changing barrels regularly, you only torque to 80 to 100 lbs.

I use Snap-On, But that is only Because I am a retired Diesel Mechanic/Heavy Equipt. I am sure some of the cheaper ones would be fine, It's not rocket surgery.

We use a Quinn Digital 1/2" Torque Wrench
The cardboard roll from toilet paper works well with a Viper Barrel Vise
Rosin works with a Wheeler (wood) Barrel Vise