WARNING! ABOUT HORNADY ELD-X BULLETS

JakeM300winnie

I'll start by saying, I've been reading posts for a long time on here and always get great information from everyone here on the forum. It's time I share, what I consider crucial information on the eld-x bullet.There has been a few threads on here about the inconsistency between lots of bullets in their base to ogive lengths and weight variances. And WOW! They weren't exaggerating! I've been loading 200 gr. Eld-x for my 300 win mag. I bought the very first box I could get my hands on when they first hit the shelves a couple yrs ago. Some of you may have noticed the first run of these bullets had a red translucent tip. I started as you should by establishing my Max length to rifling using an overall length gauge and comparator. It took me a while to get a load worked up but eventually found a combo that worked.H-1000 78.5 gr. .018 off the lands.5/8 " 5 shot group a big ragged hole basically. By now I'm nearly out of bullets and have search around to find another box. Breaking into the new box ,and just continued on loading with my recipe, suddenly accuracy goes away. Well a couple of tight bolts ,loose primer pockets and a case separation later, I shot through the Chrono and my velocities were a higher and sparatic, I dropped my charge down 1.5 gr and it came back in pretty good but not like it was shooting. Now I was thinking maybe weather , temp.pressure , different lot of powder?something changed. Well you guessed it! I thought I had better recheck my distance to lands again just for kicks. Come to find out , this lot of bullets ended up being longer by .023 tho. So I was jamming my bullets .005 in the lands. That's a problem! Since then I have bought a couple more boxes and they are all different, I know I should be buying several boxes of the same lots, but finding more than box or 2 is still difficult. I called hornady, and Tim there told me that all bullet manufacturers have this much variances in their bullets ,and all theirs all meet specs.Well I told Him "BS! I've never seen any bullets this far out."He was no help, was not nice about anything he said, and basically said it's my problem and my job to measure every individual bullet.Then tells me that if I want to be that picky, I should use the eld-match, that they have much better tolerances.So I asked him how well those work on elk. Lol.The conversation ended there by me hanging up. Now as far as the eld-x being a good bullet, I believe it is. It performs as advertised, but the quality control and customer service is BS. Their sales are still sky high from all the hype and commercials about Doppler radar and magic tips that don't melt, so no need to give 2 ***** about it now! I'm going to give you guys some actual solid numbers to look at here, and you can decide if this acceptable. I'm sensing my gun might smell bergers for lunch!
Measurements are with calipers and Hornady comparator
First batch of bullets translucent tip:
To the lands 3.900 length of bullet 1.866
Lot 2161170 dtl3.877 1.866
Lot 2170162 dtl3.882 1.869
Lot 2170254 dtl3.900. 1.851
Lot 2170148 dtl3.908 . 1.853
Thanks all for reading my rant ,and pass this information on as it could potentially be a dangerous situation.

Based on my with experience with Bergers,and others I have read about here, lunch may not taste that good. I just think the science of long range bullets has not been figure out by all manufacturers. Shooting steel is one thing, killing animals is another. It's almost like squeeze and pray the bullet does its job.

I can't say I measured mine but I had a kick *** load in my 7rem after a 200 + rounds and I do recall the tips changing colour between boxes and never thought nothing of it I hit mega pressure on my next batch of loads to the point I had to beat the bolt open. I'm not saying what you seen was my problem but it might have been. I could not figure it out.
I shouldn't have to measure ever bullet I buy before I load it. Hornady can kiss my *** on that one!!

I know what you are saying about the loose tolerances with Hornady bullets. I have seen a big discrepancy with their SST's., And Nosler also. In my experience Berger's are much more uniform. I have only shot four or five deer with Bergers, but all but one fell where shot. The other ones didn't go more than ten yards before pilling up. The Berger's are becoming my go to for deer. Not sure I would like them on heavier animals though, but for consistency I haven't found anything better yet.

I have to ask, but do you measure each loaded round to be sure it meets your specs? I check each loaded round with my comparator after seating the bullet, at least I know each one is consistent from bullet to bullet, especially if they are my hunting rounds. I am no way trying to make excuses for Hornady bad customer service, I just thought everyone checked each load for accuracy.

I am in my 3rd year of shooting .284 eld-x I have switched to them and shoot them in everything I own. With these bullets, I have killed 1 elk, 4 antelope, and 3 deer. I have busted prairie dogs at 300 yards and busted rocks out to 1250 yards. I have had zero issues with accuracy. Not saying they are a magic seed, maybe I'm not particular enough about my equipment. I'm not sure how much difference .015 average makes when stuff is moving at 3000fps? I wonder if an unrealistic expectation is put on things. Bullets are made by machines hundreds of thousands at a time. Expecting all of these to be exact by any maker is insane.
As far as customer service, I started using the .284 175 eld-x, my powder of choice is H1000. At that time there was no load data for this bullet/powder combo. I called Hornady for 3 weeks probably 2 hours worth of phone time we tested and shot and traded data to come up with a safe range of powder. They were eager to share and also eager to listen. I enjoyed working with them and recommend them to anyone.
Bummer you had a bad experience, But I tend to believe when the rep says they all have a slight variance that he is probably correct.

Last edited:
Last edited:
As has been stated, Hornady is not the only bullet manufacturer that has lot to lot variations. I have found this to be the case with Berger, Sierra, and Nosler as well. I'm not talking about tip variations(bullet OL), long claimed to be present, and to have no effect on performance. As the OP has experienced, I have found that they can all may have lot to lot variations in "base to ogive", and other measurements as well. Sierra and Berger will fiddle with the various bullet dimensions so that a BTO variation as much as .035" will produce a loaded bullet length seating depth variation that may be on or within .010" of their standard, and require only a minor change in your seating dye setting. I just went through this with my PRS load using 130 Berger Tactical Hybrids. My first two lots were quite similar except for a less the .010" average tip length difference. The third lot had a BTO difference of .036", and a total cartridge to ogive(searing depth to the lands) difference of .007". With an additional .030" of bullet length in the case, velocity, ES, and accuracy had to be rechecked. The difference appeared to be the length of the boat tail. Accuracy and ES was the same but I had a 10FPS increase in velocity, likely due to the lower case capacity. Being suspect about the BC having changed due to the dimensional differences, the 1000 yard POI check was surprisingly OK. Having gone through all this BS, I was at least successful to get (2) 500ct boxes of the same lot....enough to probably last out what's left of my barrel. This was not the first time I have gone through this and I expect it won't be the last. With a new lot of bullets ai will always check the seating depth to the lands in my rifle, and the dimensions of the bullet. If I feel there that there is a material variation, I will run a basic ladder test at 200 yards, and a long range POI check to confirm the BC.

My ladder of the 130 Tactical Hybrid that indicated an average 10FPS increase with the new lot. My original load was 2880FPS at 41.2gr. Accuracy and ES proved to be the same. The seating depth was was increased 007" to achieve .015" off the lands.
763B7EA3-225A-4DE9-8D24-9D542D835EA0.jpeg