Want to re-barrel savage

VjjR

I have a savage 11 in 270 wsm that i would like to build into a 243 win. What barrel manufacturers are there that offer a prefit barrel available? I would like a fluted barrel between 22-24" long and possibly a muzzle brake. I know ER shaw has one but only in 10" twist. I believe I want an 8 or 9" twist. Plan to shoot at longer ranges with 100 to 105 gr rounds.

I would appreciate any input,

Vic

Shilen, Pac Nor, McGowan, Sin Arms, Sharp Shooter Supply(if you can get through and or stand the wait) and a ton of others. Make sure they know it is for a large shank.

Don't forget that you'll also need a different mag box, bolthead, and firing pin assembly.

didn't think about firing pin assembly. I know Shilen wont flute barrels.

Thanks

Yep, on short actions, the firing pins are different lengths between standard and magnum boltheads.

Shilen won't but there are gunsmiths and machinists that will.

I read on their web site that they don't recommend fluting and it will void the warranty. not that it would discourage me, I would just like to purchase the complete deal

I like the re-barrel Shilen did for me. I had an old Savage 110-308. Sent them the old barrel and action told them what I was looking for, they made some recommendations which I took and am very happy with there work. Bill Maylor.

I like the re-barrel Shilen did for me. I had an old Savage 110-308. Sent them the old barrel and action told them what I was looking for, they made some recommendations which I took and am very happy with there work. Bill Maylor.

Bill: Not trying to hijack this thread but how long did it take and what price range was it in. thanks

I received from Shilen a 26" CM Bull barrel/ 1 in 10 RH twist, 11* target crown. They trued the action to the barrel, set the head spacing. Including shipping back to me totaled $405.00, and the job took 7 weeks. I have only 35 rounds through this rifle, and it has been patch cleaned only with Butchers Bore shine 20 times. The barrel seems to be very slick. I choose Shilen after reading the article on the home page Savage tactical rifle build. I hope I can start shooting again soon. This is my first and only custom rifle barrel I own
Bill Maylor..:)

I received from Shilen a 26" CM Bull barrel/ 1 in 10 RH twist, 11* target crown. They trued the action to the barrel, set the head spacing. Including shipping back to me totaled $405.00, and the job took 7 weeks. I have only 35 rounds through this rifle, and it has been patch cleaned only with Butchers Bore shine 20 times. The barrel seems to be very slick. I choose Shilen after reading the article on the home page Savage tactical rifle build. I hope I can start shooting again soon. This is my first and only custom rifle barrel I own
Bill Maylor..:)

So the main question is how does it shoot? I'm looking into starting a savage/shilen project myself.

I like everything about this barrel so far. I really dont know how it groups yet because I just started handloading after putting this rifle together. I am not real good at reloading yet and was trying load development and breaking the barrel in at the same time. I hope this is not a mistake. I feel the barrel is broke in now, and found I did not set up my reloading dies correctly resulting in a verity of groups. I then had shoulder surgery in June so I have not shot since then. I know the cleaning patches sure slide through without any friction and very little deposits. Seems to me you can take a good action and have a company like Shilen make a barrel and put them together, then find you a stock you like and have a rifle that shoots better then a box rifle at any store. I sure have learned a lot reading articles on this site. It is my first build and I am pleased so far. Bill Maylor..gun)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.