Vermin elk

1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 quart water
(times four for a gallon of mix)
Mix together, put in a pump sprayer
Spray plants to keep elk and deer off
Guaranteed to work. recipe from English gardeners.
Reapply after rain.
They might nibble on the plants but that will be the last time they touch them.

I worked for the F&G in Utah. I had to trap problem critters "mostly beaver" & keep elk out of fields & haystacks. Believe me, the beavers were easier to control than elk. All I can say is GOOD LUCK!
Thanks, Kirk

25K in damage on your place alone? Most ranchers would sooner die before they pay someone else to take on a problem on their place. They call F&G or other agencies because they like 2 things... "Free & Complaining" and the results bear that out. Considering the claimed economic impact, not considering outsourcing the work only shows you really didn't have a problem in the first place and as you've found out, the government doesn't owe you free pest control services even though they've devoted entire agencies that pretend they do. Combine with your neighbors, make a phone call, write a check and get on with your life.

I don't know if it would work for elk or not... But go to your local store and buy them out of Irish Spring body soap and chunk it up, and drop it every few feet along your fence line put high/low and everywhere in between on your fence. Its cheap, and we've used it quite a few times for whitetails. It may or may not work but its worth a try, if it doesn't you wont be out much money

Someone asked how hard is it to draw a bull tag. The unit boundary is HWY 20 and there is no general or special season south of HWY 20 where OldTeacher lives. In the old days this area was part of the unit, and the elk would only cross the HWY into the agricultural fields late in the winter after hunting season and move back into the hills as the feed came on. When they were hunting throughout the unit they did not congregate like they do now. It is mostly private property, most posted "no hunting". I feel sorry for OldTeacher but this is a landowner / Department of Fish & Wildlife created issue. These elk would scatter into the timberland on both sides of the Skagit if they were hunted and landowners would allow it. The unit north of HWY 20 is drawing only. I drew a tag a few years back with 14 preference points and took a nice 6pt with a muzzleloader so trying to do my part to help.

Someone asked how hard is it to draw a bull tag. The unit boundary is HWY 20 and there is no general or special season south of HWY 20 where OldTeacher lives. In the old days this area was part of the unit, and the elk would only cross the HWY into the agricultural fields late in the winter after hunting season and move back into the hills as the feed came on. When they were hunting throughout the unit they did not congregate like they do now. It is mostly private property, most posted "no hunting". I feel sorry for OldTeacher but this is a landowner / Department of Fish & Wildlife created issue. These elk would scatter into the timberland on both sides of the Skagit if they were hunted and landowners would allow it. The unit north of HWY 20 is drawing only. I drew a tag a few years back with 14 preference points and took a nice 6pt with a muzzleloader so trying to do my part to help.

That's what I figured! Land owners bitching about elk and deer, but they won't let anyone hunt (oldteacher not included).We see it all the time here for deer.

Old Teacher,

You have any coyotes out there, or is it legal to shoot coyotes out there? Sounds like the elk you can't hunt. Maybe let some people shoot coyotes on your property and the action of people out and about and guns shooting may push them off your place like it did back in the hunting season days? I'm always looking for new coyote spots :D Just a thought. Or build a 500 yard range and get good at shooting whenever they come on to the property and hope the practice sessions push them back off! Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.