URSA Virginia Fun Shoot with pictures

ccsykes

I made it up to Virginia to shoot in the URSA fun shoot. All I can say it WOW, what a beautiful place and a good group of people to shoot with. As a flatlander from the eastern part of NC, it was a treat to be shooting in the mountains with the scenery that this area had to offer. The weather was absolutely spectacular with 50s in the morning when we arrived and about 74 degrees in the afternoon when we left.

I brought out my 338 Allen as my main gun and my 260 for kicks to attempt the 2000 yard range target. (I do not remember the exact ranges so I will round to the nearest number for the sake of the post). I got the 260 within a few yards, but that is stretching that little gun out.

Metal targets were placed at ~2000, ~2500, ~3000, ~3300, ~3600. There were always at least 6 spotters, when shots were fired which greatly helped at these ranges. Everyone started on the 2000 yard target (on the left) and when they were comfortable with that moved on to the next target.

Next came the 2500 target by a tree (we later found out this was a ground hog magnet). You can see the 2500 target on the far left in the opening between the single tree and the line of trees. The 2000 yard targets are on the hill to the right.

The 3000 yard target was hard to spot splashes due to the taller grass around the target. Next came the 3300 (right) and 3600 (left) targets.
These targets proved to be a challenge. The first and obvious challenge is distance, the second is spotting splashes at this distance. The ground was moist and ate the bullets well. Later in the afternoon it was more apparent where the splashes were as the ground dried through the day.

Overall, this was an amazing shoot to get a group of unlimited range guys out enjoying the company, scenery, knowledge and shooting. The 3000, 3300, and 3600 yard targets left unscathed for the day. The biggest thing I learned, I need more base on my scope, a lot more. I ran out of scope and hold over at just under 3000 yards and the target was actually about 3066. I gave it the college try shooting 3 rounds, but with the difficulty spotting shots in the grass, I decided to save the ammo. The landowner and the URSA regional director were great hosts and I had a fantastic time. I also found my rifle's big brother, a 375 snipetac.

That looks like it was a great time, I hope this organization keeps growing and holding more events. Maybe one somewhere in Michigan:D

Looks like my backyard....ohh wait.. you guy's were within a few miles of me. Just don't have a rifle to stretch that far, next year I WILL BE THERE!gun):D

Thanks Chris for the pics. I think everybody had a great time. Even though nobody hit the 3320yd target, Me, Reece, & Mark got within about 5ft of it. Me and Reece was both shooting 408 Cheytac`s. Took me around 51.5 mils that morning and when it warmed up, took around 53.5mils. Mark was shooting a 375 Snipetac. I would like to thank the landowner for letting us shoot on his property. Also I would like to thank Mr. Tom (K-Roger) for cooking for everyone. He laid down his custom built 338 Lapua and fired up the grill while everyone was still shooting. Also I can`t leave out Stephen`s shooting table, I thought he brought it for us to eat on! It was a picnic table (modified) that would have seated about 10 people. I plan on having another funshoot as soon as the hay gets cut so stay ready. Send me a PM if you are interested in attending the next funshoot.

As soon as I go through the pics I'll get some posted. Definitely a great day with a great group of guys. Thanks again to Rob and the landowner for coordinating everything!

I was 18 yards from the target !!! couldn't see it in the scope...ran out of moa adj.gun)gun)gun)

Thanks to all for your kindness

Good job everyone. Looks to be lots of fun. Well I will gone this some day soon.

Have a 338 Snip-tac with 2 375 Snipe-tac being built as we speak.

Ordered 2 more 375 barrels for extra's.

Good luck with your future matches ! !

Jeff

Sorry for the delayed pics, I've been super busy lately, but here are the ones I snapped with the phone. Hope you guys enjoy!

On the way there, sky was gorgeous behind us.
2vcvu5x.jpg

2cfctns.jpg

2ry21ch.jpg

14jssia.jpg

spabdh.jpg

zxytu.jpg

k9h0g3.jpg

jaxi7n.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.