URSA SoCal Feb 2016 – Official Recap

ELR Researcher

Firsts (for URSA) – first time the winner was decided at 2625 yards (the second shooting distance at the SoCal venue), first shooter to qualify multiple rifles (Lynn Dragoman who qualified his "Big Red" .50 Cal and his quite-newly-assembled, benchrest-style, .338 SnipeTac), and first shooter to get three hits at 2625 yard (out of 9 shots), and those…in a row (JMP, during practice after the shoot had ended – .375 CT, Desert Tech HT1, brand new Bartlein barrel, Hensoldt optics, and 350 gr. CT/Lost River projectiles)!

This was a two day shoot with practice, qualification, and shooting for achievement on Saturday and practice, qualification, and record on Sunday. There was lot of anticipation, waiting to see how well the NorCal crew would shoot (regrettably, only two made the event).

The weather was fine on Saturday (27th) but we had a 5-7 mph wind most if the time, sometimes switchy. Two shooters qualified on Saturday, no achievement targets shot.We had the opportunity to do a brief comparison of a Magnetospeed (V3) and LabLadar. The LabRadar consistently read 20 fps faster.We also had a chance to see how well an inexpensive "telescope" did at spotting at 2080 yards – worked VERY well (large target size, clear, and detailed – much superior IMO to traditional, high end dedicated spotters) - save for the very limited field of view which resulted in being unable to spot and see the IRIS light up at the same time. [The owner said an eyepiece change would resolve that issue but supposedly doubling the cost.]It was a Celestron "C5 Spotter" (mfg PN 52291), which I just found at B&H for $510, shipped.

Sunday weather was much better with most of the time with little or no significant wind. Two additional shooters qualified and Lynn qualified his second rifle – so effectively 5 shooters for record at 2080 yards. Caveman and Lynn (second rifle, the SnipeTac) both shot 4 in 10, moving the competition to the next distance, 2625 yards.[We then scurried to relocated the 2080 target, having arrived on Friday 2 hours late (due to horrendous traffic coming out of LA) to allow for setup of the second target.]Neither shooter scored hits but Lynn ran out of ammo after 6 shots (had tons for Big Red but sparse for the SnipeTac).So the first shooter to win at 2625 yard was Caveman, shooting his Randall Rauch (AR15) smithed .338 LM AI, Armalite AR-30A1, 30" heavy bull Bartelin barrel, SWFA scope, and Warner 255 gr Flatliner projectiles . BTW, he qualified for record with his last shot. [Sweating blood but winning in the end.]Lynn came in both second and third, having scored better with Big Red during the first record round.Quite an interesting and reward day.In the end, NorCal showed but failed to overwhelm the SoCal locals.

A couple pics in the Gallery (Gallery).

Actually, its Craneman - my error. [But can't edit posts on this forum...or I don't know how.]

We had no equipment to determine/verify BC.

Craneman commented that they were shooting very flat.

No biggie, yeah I was just curious because that's the only one in the original lineup I haven't seen a semi definitive # for, but the others that have been tested are all really close to advertised or higher even, so I suspect this one will be no different! Thanks ELR

I don't have everything ready but I sure look forward to joining in.

Oh and just FYI ELR, there is an Edit button, it's right to the left of the quote button on the bottom right hand side of the post. Although sometimes it doesn't show up for the original post I've noticed.

7mmShooter:

I looked at every square inch of screen and there was NO edit button. That is really the only grief I have with this site.

Here, no idea why it won't work for you ELR

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-03-04-22-07-29.png
    Screenshot_2016-03-04-22-07-29.png
    167 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
7mmShooter

I know what it looks like. It just does NOT show up in original posts. I just tried again prior to this post.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.