Upgrading an older bow

Memberberries

I have been using a bear element with a whisker biscuit for the last few years and I have always thought that I was just a mediocre archer until last year when my wife wanted to get a bow. With hers I can shatter knocks easily at 25yds where with my bow I am lucky to get a 3 inch group.

I tried paper tuning and I can't get the same rip pattern twice in a row. I've come to think that I really should get a better rest and that I would like to get a drop away, also I am going to get nicer arrows and having recently bumped the draw weight I need to go with a heavier spine anyway. Any recommendations for best drop away rest under $50?

The apache, truglo, and Nap rests all seem to be pretty common and I am using this for hunting so I like the semi-captive better than the target open style stuff.

I have used a Trophy Taker Shaky Hunter for a long time, and am completely happy with it......adding a notched arrow holder in front of it, I have had no problems with containing the arrow while hunting. I'm not sure if they still make this rest, but there are some on online auction for less than $50.00.
I would buy the simplest rest (Less moving parts, the better) you can find if you are going for low cost......Less moving parts the better. I have several nephews that were using cheaper drop-away rests that came with their bows, and after I seen them them not release a couple times, I really liked my simple drop rest much more.
Based on my experience, I wonder if the grip on your wife's bow fits your hand better than yours.......For me, tuning issues come from my grip on the bow hand causing torque. When I ensure my grip is open and has minimal contact on the grip, everything is good.

I hadn't though about adding an arrow holder in addition to a rest. That might be just what I'm after. My wife is shooting a bowtech fuel and I have paper tuned it as well with very good results so I don't think my grip is what was causing the problems, I've spent a lot of time working on my grip in the last couple years. I am keeping open and letting the wrist sling do it job after the shot.

This is more what I meant........ I shot a Mathews for almost 12 years, when it came time for a new bow, I switched to a Bow Tech. They were both of about the same level of performance, but it always felt like I was off and couldn't shoot as well any more. after a couple years, my nephew picked up a new Mathews and when I shot it, it was just like the good old days. In comparing the actual grip of the bows, they are at different angles, thickness, etc..... I also shot my brothers top end Hoyt, and what it came down to was the grip on the bow it's self fit my hand (and form) better. I ended up switching back to Mathews and find keeping myself shooting good much easier.

Interesting, I had always thought that as long as my form was good and consistent and that the grip was comfortable that I was good to go in that department. I guess I should see how many buddy's bows I can shoot before I upgrade lol

Test them out, comfort and fit go a long ways. I have several friends who are lifelong Hoyt shooters and swear by them, but my dad and I have been shooting Mathew's for forever and neither of us do as well using the other brand. They're all quality products it just comes down to what works for you.

C292B4FA-7CB0-4886-8C9A-C597A7B3879A.jpeg
4B0D0424-A65D-4430-BC6A-5793D655F7F5.jpeg
I have been using a bear element with a whisker biscuit for the last few years and I have always thought that I was just a mediocre archer until last year when my wife wanted to get a bow. With hers I can shatter knocks easily at 25yds where with my bow I am lucky to get a 3 inch group.

I tried paper tuning and I can't get the same rip pattern twice in a row. I've come to think that I really should get a better rest and that I would like to get a drop away, also I am going to get nicer arrows and having recently bumped the draw weight I need to go with a heavier spine anyway. Any recommendations for best drop away rest under $50?

The apache, truglo, and Nap rests all seem to be pretty common and I am using this for hunting so I like the semi-captive better than the target open style stuff.
In my personal opinion there is nothing better for a hunting application than a whisker biscuit, I honestly think the problem is elsewhere. I hunt with an older Bear white tail classic with a whisker biscuit and constantly ruin fletchings at 30 yards target shooting from grouping so close together, even split one last year at 25 yards

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts