Ultimate Long Range Waterfowl Rig

webs

What are your thoughts? The bar none best combo between gun, choke tube and shell?

I would go with:

Browning Gold 10 Lite 28" Barrel
Patternmaster extended range
HeviShot BBB 3-1/2"

I have a few friends that run ten gauges religiously for geese and well we shot 41 between 4 of us last Saturday (limit of 15 each).

What are your thoughts? The bar none best combo between gun, choke tube and shell?

I would go with:

Browning Gold 10 Lite 28" Barrel
Patternmaster extended range
HeviShot BBB 3-1/2"

I have a few friends that run ten gauges religiously for geese and well we shot 41 between 4 of us last Saturday (limit of 15 each).

BOOM $2 BOOM $2 BOOM$2 :D

I've found that I really like shooting the black cloud snow goose FS 3" BB modified choke out of my browning Maxus 28" barrel. That stuff seems to whack stuff pretty good at a decent range. Although I usually try to find it on sale by the case when I can because its not cheap either.

I have shot quite a bit of 2 and bbb regular black cloud and I liked it quite a bit. I have gotten cheap lately and and am using Fiocchi's right now. For the price they seem to be fairly good quality.

1187 supermag,cheapest 3.5 bb ammo I can get and I still kill twice as many birds as my friends with high dollar rigs and hevishot.gun) learn to shoot and forget about the fancy chokes and high dollar ammo.

I have been a Fiocchi fan for quite some time myself. Can't seem to find any as of late. I have enough stocked up for this season but I will be in a bind before next year with any luck on a good year.

26" remington sp10 AGI custom extended choke tube .720. 1 1/2oz of BBB pushed to 1500fps by a generous amount of steel powder in a ballistic products steel wad ignited by a fed 209 and a rem hull works like a champ. 90%+ patterns @ 50yds on a 30" circle. A little too much for teal (they end up on the inedible side)

I have quite a bit of BB Hevi Shot. The only time I shoot it is during snow goose season when the birds are hanging up at 75 - 85 yds right over the spread. Otherwise Hevi Shot is a waste of money. If you can't kill birds with steel, you need to work on yer shooting abilities. One thing most folks overlook on chokes is they're not standardized on their constriction. What I always recommend is to pick up several extended chokes. Briley is my favorite. I bulged a Pattermaster years ago and it never pattered worth a crap anyway. Whatever loads you plan on using, take them out and pattern them in a 30" circle at whatever yardages you plan to shoot at. Tom Roster puts a pellet guide on how many pellets are needed in a 30" circle at varying yardages. If yer gun doesn't pattern worth a crap, you'll need to try different chokes or loads. If a gun doesn't pattern properly, you'll never hit crap no matter how good of a shot you are.

For geese I prefer a SxS or BPS 10, 30-32" barrels loaded with #2 heavy shot or BBB steel. I have tried and like the 2 7/8" 10 ga. Nice Shot from RST shotshells...great decoy round.

When the 10 gauge shells became hard to find and we were forced to go to steel shot, I looked
for something comparable.

After lots of research I decided on the Beretta Extrema in 3 1/2 ". It was purpose built for 3&1/2''
shells and would/will fire anything from a 3&1/2 " x 2&1/4 oz Turkey Load, to a 1 oz light Dove load
without any changes to the buffer spring or gas piston.

Normally when we are goose hunting, Duck season is still open so the flexibility of having a shotgun
that you can switch shells in the field is a plus in my opinion. Now there are other shotguns that should be able to do that, but this was many years ago and I still have and use the Extrema for
goose, ducks and Turkey.

3&1/2" 2s will kill Goose and turkey out to 60+ yards and with the number of shot there are very few that are lost or crippled.

Just My choice

J E CUSTOM

1187 super mag for waterfowl and turkeys they just plain feel good and fit . Thats the key to shooting good . Remember wood to wood and you will hit what your looking at SWIPER SAID THAT

When the 10 gauge shells became hard to find and we were forced to go to steel shot, I looked
for something comparable.

After lots of research I decided on the Beretta Extrema in 3 1/2 ". It was purpose built for 3&1/2''
shells and would/will fire anything from a 3&1/2 " x 2&1/4 oz Turkey Load, to a 1 oz light Dove load
without any changes to the buffer spring or gas piston.

Normally when we are goose hunting, Duck season is still open so the flexibility of having a shotgun
that you can switch shells in the field is a plus in my opinion. Now there are other shotguns that should be able to do that, but this was many years ago and I still have and use the Extrema for
goose, ducks and Turkey.

3&1/2" 2s will kill Goose and turkey out to 60+ yards and with the number of shot there are very few that are lost or crippled.

Just My choice

J E CUSTOM
This is the baddest shotgun on the planet! I have been hunting with the extrema ll for 5 seasons with black cloud long range tube and bb 3.5" . 2 seasons now I have hunted with my A400 Xtreme. Its a bad mutha! Same choke tube and black cloud bb bring down the geese!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.