Tripod

Tnwhip

I was down at the farm this evening because I got several pictures of a 3 leged coyote. His paw is gone about 3 inches up on his back leg. I saw him at 350 yards right before he went out of sight in the thicket. I was hoping he was going to come out the other side and I would get a shot. The next time I saw him he was 400 yards going across my other field. I tried to call him back but he only stopped once and looked back. I was calling and didn't have the rifle up. He just kept going so I didn't get a shot. Turkey season is coming in and it will be 2 weeks before I will be back. But I will be back after him.

Last edited:
Here is a picture of him.He comes by regularly Morning and evenings. About every 2 days
IMG_0074.JPG

Well I am back. Had a lucky Friday 13th coyote, not so lucky. She wasn't tripod but first come first served . I saw her at 400 yds. She was coming angled toward me. The wind was blowing 20 mph when she got 160yds she stopped . I knew the 68hpbt was going to drift at least 2" so I aimed forward shoulder . After the shot she spun around a couple of times and took off back the way she came. I tried to pick her up in the scope but couldn't get another shot. She piled up after a 75 or 100 yd dead run. The shot was good behind the shoulder, a 50 cent hole on the other side. One tough bitch. I would have been back after tripod this morning but it was raining hard.. They must be mates got them on camera together.

Well I am back. Had a lucky Friday 13th coyote, not so lucky. She wasn't tripod but first come first served . I saw her at 400 yds. She was coming angled toward me. The wind was blowing 20 mph when she got 160yds she stopped . I knew the 68hpbt was going to drift at least 2" so I aimed forward shoulder . After the shot she spun around a couple of times and took off back the way she came. I tried to pick her up in the scope but couldn't get another shot. She piled up after a 75 or 100 yd dead run. The shot was good behind the shoulder, a 50 cent hole on the other side. One tough bitch. I would have been back after tripod this morning but it was raining hard.. They must be mates got them on camera together. She was not bred .
20180413_075926.jpg

I got tripod this morning about 8:30. Around 7:00 I had another coyote go down the back field 400 yds from me. Wouldn't stop for a shot. He had a flop ear. Now I have another one to go after. Anyway, I HAD 3 deer 200 yrs across the field from me eating honey suckle . They had been over there for about 30 minutes. I was in the blind and was out of coffee and was ready to give up when the deer started to stare across the field. Not at me, but up more. I scanned down the field. There he was. He was looking at the deer. I grabbed the old 788 243 . He was at 200 yds. I shot, He folded, never even kicked. I was useing some old hornady 70sp. It was a small hole in small hole out. Too bad they quit making them. Don't make sense . The other coyote I shot the other day with the 22 nosler hornady 68hpbt had a 50c exit hole and she ran. Anyway Old Tripod had a hard life. His paw was just dangleing.and his ear had been crewed on. Still scabbed over.20180415_090157_001.jpg

Great job Tnwhip!!! Tripod was old & smart .but I do believe the deer helped you & them selfs because of the way it worked out, what we don't see is the deers every day struggle to servive,those coyotes hunt them chase them harass them 24/7/365 days a year because their meat & that's always the best choice !!!deer can run go almost any where people say but so can the coyote &wolf ,& Believe you me they live for the chase!!! Would you rather fill up on stake or mice ? Good pixs of tripod yes he was old n beat up , but he still did his work ,and if you could see all the Fawns he ate n killed you"d probably cry!!! Glad you seen floppy ear that proves there more around !!! Sometime every day before sunrise n sunset coyotes howl to tell there kind where they are this is very important because they give their temporary location away and the hunter can set up and use it to his advantage !!! Their creachers of habits study them , I"m Very proud of your hunting skills Tnwhip keep up the great job,Speer makes a TNT 70 GN hp & have you tryed Hornadys 65 GN V/max ..... Yes congrats to yur Rem/788/243 great combo !love the pictures keep them comming, more Power to you !!! Regards my Friend !!!

Your pixs of tripod show he's in very fine shape , he's fat ,can't see his ribs ,yes very well feed ,a good looking coat, teeth look sharp & perly white ,yes he was a lover n fighter and I'm sure he could still move pretty good, bite up ears from fighting & not having the speed of his rivals , tail bite n thinned from fighting and lots harassment from his own kind, but it also proves how tuff he was & that he was a credit to his gender ! & a Warrior.

Thanks for the encouragement. Last spring I was down there and a doe came bursting out of the thicket 400 yards away across the field. She was chasing a coyote she was really after it. She was stomping and really on his butt. Too far and moving too fast to get a clear shot to help her out. She ran him back into the thicket, in a few minutes she came out alone and walked my way. About 200 yards from me she picked up her fawn in the knee high grass and they walked off down the other side of the field away from the coyote. Yes I have some 65 v max loaded and ready to go. They shoot pretty good. Was going to use them But I just tried some 87 v maxes and they shot a 5 shot .340 group the other day so I think I will use them. The 87s are not as fast but less wind drift. Heck everything shoots good in this old 788. It is hard to make up my mind. I have about 10 of the 70g left.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts